MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I m trying to put a headunit in the the new updated Mini model, 2004, and am having trouble removing the drivers side dash downtube. There are 2 screws on each side near the top of the tube, i've removed the lower one but the higher one is blocked by the new addition to the under-steering wheel cover/storage. Has anyone had this problem? How did you remove the top screw to remove the down tube? Do you have to take the steering wheel under cover off? and how do you get if off if you do?

A quick reply would be great as my car is in pieces and going no where?

Thanks

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
you can remove the under steering wheel panel, its scary, but easy, you just need to pull on it, say from the steering wheel exit point, in a downwards forcefall manner, it will just unclip, also try to pull slightly away from the down pillars;)

now why haven't you been tipping??:p About to remove you this week due to going AWOL

·
Official Pimp of Mini2
4,001 Posts
Rakey said:
you can remove the under steering wheel panel, its scary, but easy, you just need to pull on it, say from the steering wheel exit point, in a downwards forcefall manner, it will just unclip, also try to pull slightly away from the down pillars;)

now why haven't you been tipping??:p About to remove you this week due to going AWOL
:D
What Rakey said pull the bit down (mine needed alot of force) and it will uncilp then you can get to it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yes you do have to remove the plastic cover that is under the steering wheel. It attaches at the top corner near the down tube and on the door side near the cubby hole.

You heed to pull hard, I found it easier to undo the side near the door first, buy gripping the cubby hole and pulling. The try then downtube side. Once the two top attachments are undone the whole plastic cover hinges from the base and can be taken out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.