MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've just been checking the washer fluid on my partners 2007 Mini and noticed there is a wide plastic pipe in the engine that doesn't seem to be connected to anything but looks like it might at some point have been.

I know very little about cars so this may be normal but it's a bit worrying as seems to just be loose and swinging around in the engine bay.

I've added an image of what I'm talking about bellow. If anyone could point me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Looks like the pipe going from the front of the car to the air filter, is there a hole in the air filter box that looks like it should have a similar sized pipe connected to it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like the pipe going from the front of the car to the air filter, is there a hole in the air filter box that looks like it should have a similar sized pipe connected to it?
I can't see anything that looks like it should be directly connected to it but again I don't really know what I'm looking at. It looks to me like there is a piece of pipe possibly missing that should connect to the end of this pipe and then potentially into somewhere else but I could be completely wrong. She only go it a week ago and got it from a reputable dealer locally so you would hope it's correct but definitely looks off to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
From a bit of digging it looks like this is the "intake manifold tube" and should be connected to an "intake manifold pre-box" but that box seems to be completely missing. Seems like I need to get it looked it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Surely she can take it back to the dealer to fix ?
Yeah looks like that's what we'll have to do. It's under warranty and looks like just a piece of missing pipe so not a big fix, just a bit wary of driving it beforehand as I've no idea how important it is and if it's likely to cause damage.

·
cristo
2,869 Posts
12 on this diagram which connects
14 to 1.
Without it you suck up hot air from
under the hood next to the engine
instead of ambient temperature air
from the front of the car.
Wonder if someone had an
aftermarket intake, got rid of
the box (12), then put the intake
back to stock (almost) before
selling it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah the pre box, or intake baffle is missing .
Without that you can probably really hear the intake air being sucked in .they reduce intake noise. All cars have them, but without them it makes the cabin louder when you excel rate

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey, I've just been checking the washer fluid on my partners 2007 Mini and noticed there is a wide plastic pipe in the engine that doesn't seem to be connected to anything but looks like it might at some point have been.

I know very little about cars so this may be normal but it's a bit worrying as seems to just be loose and swinging around in the engine bay.

I've added an image of what I'm talking about bellow. If anyone could point me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated. Thanks.

View attachment 281558
Looks like a bends missing between the air filter. I would check out with a similar mini or the agents as it looks it does need a spare part to connect the two open ends of the two pipes.

·
Registered
314 Posts
This is what it should look like:

I think your airbox (at the rear of the engine - top of the picture) isn't fitted properly either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
NigelStsp is right, looks like someone has cannibalised parts from your car or removed it out in the hope it works or sounds better, or a mechanic that he left unhappy retained parts. I think you need to have it sorted before it causes major issues. The person you bought it from may have the answers. Either way you would not want the engine to breathe dust or road grime but now you know.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper S r56
3 Posts

View attachment 281558
Connects to the Air Filter Box which is missing. Air filter/scrubber keeps dust and pollen out of the engine. Amazing no one spotted this before selling the car

1 - 12 of 12 Posts