MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my car is a 53 Nov 04 reg. with 50k miles on it.
It has been making a rattling noise when I turn right on the driver side? Also when I break it ‘roars’ any ideas?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi my car is a 53 Nov 04 reg. with 50k miles on it.
It has been making a rattling noise when I turn right on the driver side? Also when I break it ‘roars’ any ideas?
In respect of the 'roaring', I Presume that you have checked the brake pads for wear?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brake pads

I bought it in June and new pads were fitted in May - how do i check the pads? i thought it might be the pads

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
depends how technically minded you are? Basically jack and block the car up and remove the front wheels. visually check the pads - should be a few mm's on each pad minimum - don't just go by the outer pad as the inner is usually the most worn.

If they are worn then obviously changing them should sort the problem but in either case it might be worth getting it looked at in case the disc's need doing too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought it in June and new pads were fitted in May - how do i check the pads? i thought it might be the pads
Remove the wheel and look at them ;) You will be able to tell if they are worn down to the extent that they are non existent, hence the horrible noise!

·
Registered
117 Posts
depends how technically minded you are? Basically jack and block the car up and remove the front wheels. visually check the pads - should be a few mm's on each pad minimum - don't just go by the outer pad as the inner is usually the most worn.

If they are worn then obviously changing them should sort the problem but in either case it might be worth getting it looked at in case the disc's need doing too.
Yeah, what he said :p beat me to it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i wouldn't have a clue to do that. am i ok driving it on the motorway from Birmingham to Bradford my unlce is a mechanic and he can look? it seems to be breaking ok

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey everyone it was the rear brake pads and disc that needed replacing. it cost me £145 (parts and labour) also they put in some oil for me and also fixed the sensor on the back brake as it wasn't working...does that seem a reasonable price?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts