MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have just received my new mini today well its 6 month old.

Since I have had it it smells like it is over heating and when i turn the engine off it makes a noise for a good 5 mins.

Does the mini have a warning light or temp to tell you if it is overheating or am i to assume it is overheating?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thnks

Gordon

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
Makesure you check the fluid levels if you are concerned. The Cooper S turbo engine does run quite hot (don't touch the bonnet above the scoop after you switch the engine off!). An electric noise after switching the engine off is quite normal though for a few minutes. If you can smell burning, and you don't think it is normal the car will be in its warranty period so you can always get the dealer's opinion.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Depending on miles driven it could be nothing more than the normal smell you get when you break in a new car. Mine smelled for a few months when I first got it as well. Typically it is the cat just breaking in. If it doesn't go away if it gets worse, then I would worry.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello I have just received my new mini today well its 6 month old.

Since I have had it it smells like it is over heating and when i turn the engine off it makes a noise for a good 5 mins.

Does the mini have a warning light or temp to tell you if it is overheating or am i to assume it is overheating?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thnks

Gordon
This is just the smell of the turbo and the turbo cooling system running on after being driven.This is normal and my S hatch does it as well,so no need to worry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts