MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work at a Volkswagen dealership and I'm not wanting to get a tech to charge me 3-3.5 hours to change my fan resistor and I'm not convinced that's the problem. Since they're not used to working on these cars, I don't want to play the guessing game on their clock. Would I be able to do it myself? Do I have to go into service mode? What is a feasible time frame to do this? I also noticed that the small connector for the high speed fan is not plugged into anything. Logic tells me it should be. Is that correct?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
If you complete your details fully, we'll al be able to see roughly where you are. Might help. So they look like this:

NigelK
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 10:55 AM
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)

England Male

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
I work at a Volkswagen dealership and I'm not wanting to get a tech to charge me 3-3.5 hours to change my fan resistor and I'm not convinced that's the problem. Since they're not used to working on these cars, I don't want to play the guessing game on their clock. Would I be able to do it myself? Do I have to go into service mode? What is a feasible time frame to do this? I also noticed that the small connector for the high speed fan is not plugged into anything. Logic tells me it should be. Is that correct?
in my experience with buying cars that have fan disconnected chances are its because when there are other problems the ecu switch the fans on as a fail safe in some cases,, first off need to find where its meant to be plugged in to and plug it in check the fan fuses,, after that volt meter and go find the voltage on the fan circuit,, you could do with autocom cdp plus or inpa cdp i use mostly as its easy platform and you can switch on or off a number of circuits via the laptop so can send a live down the fan circuit without starting car,, this is good for finding the issues,, common issues are temp sensor, fan resistor which can be tested easy ie voltage to and non after between the fan motor and it then resistor is at fault, also probe a 12v from battery to fan so if turns that will rule out or in the fan. also can run car with aircon on and fan should cut in if dont then chances are fan motor or resistor or ecu control ,, like pretty much everything on modern cars need a dealer level diagnostics plug in scan,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts