MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this weeks Auto-Express a Cooper owner says that his Cooper was fixed after his dealer was sent a directive by BMW to adjust his steering wheel and steering rack. He says that the steering pull pull is now completely gone and it is a shame that more dealers do not know about it.

An even bigger shame is that my dealer has not heard about it either. I'm still angry that my MINI still will not drive straight even after new suspension and realignment.

Did I miss the news? Is it true??

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Hope this is true and maybe it is. But I doubt it. If MINI had sorted out a fix as simple as this they would be broadcasting it to all dealers as it is cheaper than what they are doing now to try and fix it. Paul is still waiting for an official response from BMW, lets hope they have something to say soon.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
That's great news if accurate.

I think a 'quick and dirty' fix with the steering rack would be to adjust it so the right wheel is more toe-out then the left, gently countering the pull left -- but this would really be a total bodge and would cause uneven wear to the front tires. It certainly would not be the proper way to fix it. They can't be getting desperate enough to do something dumb, can they? No, I'm sure they have not.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What if the present arrangement applies a stronger steering force to the left then to the right? Is it possible to adjust th steering centering position? I am sure that my car needs less muscle to do a left than a right turn. In tha straight ahead position it almost is on the brink of being neutral, but as it hits a few bumps it always swings to the left (camber corrected for of course).

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Apial,

I would be surprised if that was true. I wrote to BMW voicing my concerns and was given this response:

"There have been a number of vehicles that have been reported as pulling to the left. Our technical department have been made aware of this issue and have informed dealers that this may be due to the camber of the UK roads. As this investigation is ongoing a final decision has yet to be released."

Make of that what you will.

LMB:D

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
BruceK said:
That's great news if accurate.

I think a 'quick and dirty' fix with the steering rack would be to adjust it so the right wheel is more toe-out then the left, gently countering the pull left -- but this would really be a total bodge and would cause uneven wear to the front tires. It certainly would not be the proper way to fix it. They can't be getting desperate enough to do something dumb, can they? No, I'm sure they have not.
This sort of goes back to an earlier post of mine.
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=2705&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

I believe that if there is found to be a problem with the front struts, then it’s going to be a bloody small one!! No wonder BMW haven’t released anything yet because I can bet any tests they are doing are inconsistent.
My theories on this problem are that because the steering is so positive mixed with the taught suspension and wide wheels, it simply shows up irregularities in the road and the suspension set-up. I think if the car was “fixed” to get rid of the pull, then you may find problems on a dead flat road.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lying s***s! They know damn fine that its not the camber. Don't tell me that the queue for the KDS machine and new suspension struts and bottom spring pads is just so that the UK camber can be corrected. Anyway, on my 8 foot wide roads driving on anywhere but up the middle means you just crashed!

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Apial said:
Lying s***s! They know damn fine that its not the camber. Don't tell me that the queue for the KDS machine and new suspension struts and bottom spring pads is just so that the UK camber can be corrected. Anyway, on my 8 foot wide roads driving on anywhere but up the middle means you just crashed!
Calm down, Calm down :eek:

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Apial said:
Lets just say I was not best pleased with that answer either.:eek:

LMB:rolleyes:

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Apial said:
LMB,
How old is the letter from BMW?
I received the e-mail on Friday 4th January. The joke is that some dealership still deny there is a problem; it is insulting.:mad:

LMB:)

·
Registered
272 Posts
it is a joke cus the salesman i was speaking to before said that he knows nothing of this...:confused:

i've booked in for a fix next thursday, and the mechanic said that after a KDS checkup, they have ordered new shock absorbers or something like that- can't quite remember but lets hope it can be solved... to be honest though its totally forgiveable cus the car just looks so good and drives so well- all im worried or bothered about is the ultra squeaky driver seat :( i haven't booked in but can anyone tell me if i can just turn up or not for a fix? i might go in tomorrow uc... :)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
LMB said:

I received the e-mail on Friday 4th January. The joke is that some dealership still deny there is a problem; it is insulting.:mad:

LMB:)
at the least you got a reply !!.

Still waiting mine......sigh

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Basil said:

at the least you got a reply !!.

Still waiting mine......sigh
I only got a reply because I threatened to cancel my order if I didn't hear from them. I had written two letters prior to that but to no avail.:rolleyes:

LMB:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts