MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! MINI2 newbie...

Im looking to purchase a 1st gen cooper pretty soon. Im not to up on MINI's as ive always had VW's but ive heard that the mini has some pretty major faults to look out for??

Basicially what im asking is what do i look for when im buying?? Ive heard there is a big problem with steering on 1st gens? and also some sort of boot leak?

or any other things to study before handing over the cash!

cheers guys!!

Luke

·
Where does that road go?
12,574 Posts
Welcome to MINI2. :D

If you're going for a first gen, try to get one from 2004 onwards. This is when the facelift was brought in and the gearbox was changed from the less reliable Midland gearbox to the Getrag gearbox. You can identify a post-facelift car from the different light clusters on the back, the lack of the huge chrome inserts in the bumpers and the dash being in three parts instead of five. ;)

Water can leak into the boot from the high level brakelight but this just needs resealing if this is the case. Power steering failures seem to be quite common but there are plenty of other threads in these forums which should give you a bit more information on those. I've had two 1st gen MINIs so far and neither of them have had the power steering issues *touch wood*. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunalty as much as i want to go for a later model, my wallet is only giving me £5000!

looks like im gonna have to stick with 2002, i might be lucky and get a 2003 for a good price but thats as far as it goes for me!

I was thinking of going for a used car warranty from Warranty Wise aswell. Just for the peace of mind

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
You will probably have a hard time finding something decent for that amount of money. Good luck...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts