MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to get cooper grill and mesh and was just wondering how do u remove these and replace???
detail would be great
thanks gav

·
MINI2 Master (Oh Wow!)
595 Posts
changing your grill

Gav,

Not sure how familiar you are with the mesh that features on the Jaguar XKR and XJR respectively, but I want that on my mini. Pop your hood, the grill is an integral part of the bonnet, and is completely removable by undoing the nuts and bolts. It "should" come straight off, it's yours to play with! And if you do mess it up, a new one is about £30.

I have contacted a few scrap yards to enquire about salvaged grills for the Jaguars, no luck so far, but they reckon two grills will cost me no more than £10. I was quoted £250 for a square metre of it from Jag themselves!

Let me know. I will post pix when my grill is made.

alex.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
There is a new Mesh grille for the MINI I think, check the offical piccies of the bobykit with black & white roof :)

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
£250 pre metre!!!! Jesus Christ on a bicycle!!!!!!!

Thats extorshionate! (spelt rather badly) My dad companmt sells the stuff and that must be a 2000%+ Markup. To give you an idea of what My Dad's company sells it for:

Woven S/Steel is ranges from £3.00 a square foot to £5.00 a square foot. And if its expanded Metal, for grills its only about £30 for a sheet of the stuff! (4'x4')

I know Jags are expensive but what the hell are they making it out of, SILVER? Gold? Titanium!

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Re: changing your grill

alexcroft said:
Gav,

Not sure how familiar you are with the mesh that features on the Jaguar XKR and XJR respectively, but I want that on my mini. Pop your hood, the grill is an integral part of the bonnet, and is completely removable by undoing the nuts and bolts. It "should" come straight off, it's yours to play with! And if you do mess it up, a new one is about £30.

I have contacted a few scrap yards to enquire about salvaged grills for the Jaguars, no luck so far, but they reckon two grills will cost me no more than £10. I was quoted £250 for a square metre of it from Jag themselves!

Let me know. I will post pix when my grill is made.

alex.
Post a pic of the grill your after and I'll tell you if my Dad's company supply it or not, and I can give you an idea on price. That way you can have a piece youcan cut doen to your shape rather tha having to use some Jaguar second hand rubbish :) May cost you a bit more but at least you'll know its quality ;) And not £250 per metre !:eek:

Incidently I was thinking about doing the same thing (using an Expanded Metal Mesh like the one on the lower grill of a Cooper), have you seen the posts, anyway here is the link Enjoy :) :

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4501

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Use some chicken wire :D :D :D :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts