MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Mini and can do with some help on choosing the right car. We have a Rav4 and a 1998 C240 Class Merc, Although still quite a nice car, the Merc is costing me money now, oh its eligible for scrapage scheme. The Rav is a thirsty car but good for lugging things around for my business. Wife likes to use the Rav4 but has a heavy foot, so its not exciting to see 24.6 mpg average for city driving, plus the cost for brake discs and pads every so often. Btw: I used to have a 205 GTi and then a 405 Sri, I though it would be good to go back to Peugeot. 308 is a nice car but expensive for what we need.

Here is what I am thinking,.. and need a push;

Bite the bullet and trade the Merc for a Mini Cooper, thought about the Mini Graphite, but for future insurance purposes avoid it as it may attract a special rate… I don’t know if that is true ? Keep the Rav4 for Business and driveway, remove 19 year old from Rav insurance and save £600 PA.

My spec (major items listed) and questions are;

Cooper Petrol – will diesel be better for mileage, it is for road tax at £35pa, we do 5000 miles PA in the city, how long before extra cost is recovered.
Midnight black,
Same roof colour,
Stay with 15” but go for Rotor – cheaper tyres, better ride than low profile ??
Go with Cosmo Black - Rav4 has leather and its cold or hot, I don’t want to spend extra for heated seats
Space saver wheel – is this required, where does it sit ?
On-board computer – is it required ?
White indicator lenses – will these make a difference to how the car looks ?
Darkened rear glass – is this too much with black paint ?
Anthracite roof lining – what colour is it normally ?
Interior light pack – is it useful ?
Smokers Pack – we don’t smoke but does the pack give you an extra socket ?
Automatic gear box – both Rav4 & Merc have this, is the mini clutch light in traffic so not to justify automatic ?

Sorry so many questions and some silly ones (I know), but please help me with as much as you can, brochures only go so far.

Thanks

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
At that mileage get the petrol - it'll take far too long to make your money back...

The insurance for a one with a 19 year old would also be a LOT cheaper than it would for a cooper - something worth considering.

Same roof colour - why not just get a one for round town. You'll never notice the difference in performance in town centres. Even an auto one should be fine in town

15" wheels all have the same tyres regardless of design

Take it you mean the cloth seats? I'd upgrade to sports seats in cloth - much better design and more comfortable - cloth seats are fine in cold or hot weather

Space saver sits underneath the car, and is lowered from inside the boot. Only problem with this is the wheel off the car doesn't actually fit in the holder for the space saver. HOWEVER it is handy to have

On board computer - depends whether you want all sorts such as range, mpg, exterior temperature etc...

White indicator lenses - must have = look 100% better

Darkened rear glass - looks really good, especially on black cars

The roof lining is normally a creamy grey colour - for you I'd definitely go for it

Interior light pack - bit of a gimick really - front reading lights and mood lighting!

Smokers pack - gives you an ashtray and lighter instead of a bung thing for the socket - you don't get an extra socket

The clutch in the r56 is a lot lighter than the r50, depends what you like really! The ideal thing would be to try both, although unless you're near london this can be difficult.

Best thing to do would be to spec the pepper pack - would give you most of what you want, then add the bits it doesn't :) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MOS. Thanks for the reply, its good to get valued opinions. I will have a look at the 'One' as well. Point noted on the pepper pack :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MOS. Just had a look, other than engine 'One' is the same as Cooper, right ? this would be perfect for city driving as you say, with the saving in cost get an autobox as well.

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
MINI Engines

MOS. Just had a look, other than engine 'One' is the same as Cooper, right ? this would be perfect for city driving as you say, with the saving in cost get an autobox as well.
In the 1st Generation MINI only (2001-2006): the ONE and Cooper share the same 1.6 litre engine with the ONE being electronically limited by only allowing half throttle body opening beyond 4,000 rpm. If at a later date you want Cooper-like engine output you can reprogram the ECU to do it and notify your insurance company of the change.

In the 2nd Generation MINI only (2007-present): the ONE has a 1.4 litre engine while the Cooper has a 1.6 litre and the power difference is governed by engine displacement. A ONE cannot be reprogrammed to have Cooper engine output.

As you were talking about Cooper Diesels, I think you're looking at a new purchase, so it'd be 2nd Generation MINI you'd be ordering.

All the best,
Andrew.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Expensive Plastic cars

As a last look... I was out at the W/E looking at new cars with good fuel consumption, there is not much out there that is good for less than £20k, most cars feel so plasticy and still do not compare to a merc model that is 11 years old.

Golf will cost about £20k but will still have a revvy engine - no delivery till March 2010, Polo SEL auto was another choice but the salesman put me off by saying its launched on 16 Oct and waiting list may stretch into new year and I would end up paying 2.5% additional VAT on delivery. Kia and other makes are out as they will depreciate before you pick up your first Café Late with the savings... soggy biscuit I say :)

So Mini it is, sorry but the base model still looks a bit dull, the price has crept up as I want to personalise it. I am now stuck between Cooper Graphite with Auto or a Black Cooper Auto – both at about £17,600 less £2k for scarpage.

·
<')))<
2,019 Posts
i just saw a Camden go past on a transporter actually. based on it's direction it's heading to the shipping port in Southampton, which means it's going out of the country.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
PK5
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing