MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Can't wait to order one.
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm torn right now. I'm in Iraq, trying to decide which car to buy when I get home.

Payments aren't gonna be an issue, as I plan on putting ~8k down on whichever car I decide to buy.

Obviously, I narrowed the choices down and I found out how much I love the Mini.

So a MCS was my choice. Black with the chrome package. :D It would come out to around 22k with the minimal options that I want.

Then I start looking at my other main option, a 05 VW GTI. And it started to look really good, especially with the rebates that they were offering me. :(

Around 21k out the door.

The acceleration is there, better than the S. And the moddability once I pay it off is DEFINITLY there, maybe more so thatn the S. And the interior is debatably better. Not sure on overall quality, it's a toss up.

But the handling is way worse than the S, by far.

Tell me not to do it, tell me to say Cooper true. :D
 

·
50 PMs no sig group
Joined
·
22,285 Posts
First of all I'm really glad to hear your main concern is which car you're going to buy when you return from Iraq :) (I presume you're in the military.)

As regards your question, well you're on a MINI site so there's really no choice :D You certainly won't regret buying an S or any other model.

But to be fair, you should do a test drive. Then you'll be convinced the MINI is the one to go for ;) :D :p
 

·
Can't wait to order one.
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KPKalle said:
First of all I'm really glad to hear your main concern is which car you're going to buy when you return from Iraq :) (I presume you're in the military.)

As regards your question, well you're on a MINI site so there's really no choice :D You certainly won't regret buying an S or any other model.

But to be fair, you should do a test drive. Then you'll be convinced the MINI is the one to go for ;) :D :p
Yeah, i'm National Guard, in the infantry over here. Thinking about my new car takes my mind off stuff. :)


Yeah, that's what i'm assuming (and hoping) will happen. I mean the GTI is a great car, but lacks any bit of personality compared to the S. :D

We'll see. :)
 

·
MINI Groupie
Joined
·
105 Posts
Do not stray!

Frankly I had to look at the VW GTI and then I have to say....NO CONTEST!

You deserve to have a unique and wonderful ride when you return stateside. Treat yourself. The test drive will convince you quickly enough.

BTW what are rebates except a lure to sucker someone in!!! Sales must be slower then they anticipated or something.

Safe journey home and happy motoring when you get here!
 

·
Totally Mental!
Joined
·
21,789 Posts
you got it bang on the money when you mentioned personality. i mean, come on, look at the 2- which one is more eye catching? the s every time. as for moddability, you only have to check out the galleries on here (mine included :D ) to see the variation and diversity of the minis, which i very much doubt will be matched by any other make. Don't think you need to think any more about that one. Just start concentrating on what youre going to buy for your new mini :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
'05 will be the last year for the current model GTI and it is getting a little "long in the tooth" if you know what I mean. I have seen the next generation GTI and it looks super, and has many more engine choices. I would vertainly wait for the new GTI if I was going to go VW. I currently own 3 VW's, a Honda, a Mini, and a Land Rover, so I have notrhing against any of these marques, but VW has a habit of changing models in the middle of the year if they feel like it. (i.e. the 2001 1/2 Passat!) It would certainly be a race between a 3.0 liter V6 GTI and an MCS - at least a tough decision!
 

·
Can't wait to order one.
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JoeDentist said:
'05 will be the last year for the current model GTI and it is getting a little "long in the tooth" if you know what I mean. I have seen the next generation GTI and it looks super, and has many more engine choices. I would vertainly wait for the new GTI if I was going to go VW. I currently own 3 VW's, a Honda, a Mini, and a Land Rover, so I have notrhing against any of these marques, but VW has a habit of changing models in the middle of the year if they feel like it. (i.e. the 2001 1/2 Passat!) It would certainly be a race between a 3.0 liter V6 GTI and an MCS - at least a tough decision!
I agree, and I would, but thing is that I don't have a car at all and need to buy one as soon as I get home, waitin till late 05 for a car that will be overpriced by dealers for half a year isn't gonna work. :)

I'm sure the test drives will clear up any confusion that I have, just wanted your guys push. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Purple Haze said:
So a MCS was my choice. Black with the chrome package
I have a question - why are you planning on ordering a black car? :confused: Don't you owe it to yourself to buy a Purple Haze MCS. ;):D

Best wishes for a safe tour and journey home. :)
 

·
Can't wait to order one.
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
indimini said:
I have a question - why are you planning on ordering a black car? :confused: Don't you owe it to yourself to buy a Purple Haze MCS. ;):D

Best wishes for a safe tour and journey home. :)

Haha.........I actually thought about it, but I'll have to see the color in person. The main reason i'm prolly gonna order a black one is obviously cause I love the way it blends into the trim and gives the car a mean look, but also to save cost. :)

Add the chrome, and that's one bad looking little go cart. :D
 

·
Can't wait to order one.
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
indimini said:
I have a question - why are you planning on ordering a black car? :confused: Don't you owe it to yourself to buy a Purple Haze MCS. ;):D

Best wishes for a safe tour and journey home. :)
Btw, you don't live too far from me. :) Up for a beer when I get back? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
From my reading, the new GTI which will not be available until Oct. '05 at the earliest, does 0 to 60 in 7.4 seconds. I believe the '05 MCS does better than that doesn't it? Also it may be you are thinking of a present generation GTI which is not as good a model as the GTI to come with the 2.0 FSI engine. Also if you look-up the road tests of the GTI to come, they do laud it quite highly but have even said that it does not handle as well as a MCS and that unless you get the leather, the fabric on the seats is junk. The potential reliability is in question also as the present models have had many troubles.

In my decision to purchase a MCS I drove the MCS, a Subaru STI, a Mazda Turbo Miata and a R32. The MCS can't win 0 to 60 with any of the others, but it wins in the twisties and most certainly in character quotient. I could go on about other great aspects of each of these cars but suffice it to say the MCS gets my vote!
 

·
Can't wait to order one.
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Andromcs said:
From my reading, the new GTI which will not be available until Oct. '05 at the earliest, does 0 to 60 in 7.4 seconds. I believe the '05 MCS does better than that doesn't it? Also it may be you are thinking of a present generation GTI which is not as good a model as the GTI to come with the 2.0 FSI engine. Also if you look-up the road tests of the GTI to come, they do laud it quite highly but have even said that it does not handle as well as a MCS and that unless you get the leather, the fabric on the seats is junk. The potential reliability is in question also as the present models have had many troubles.

In my decision to purchase a MCS I drove the MCS, a Subaru STI, a Mazda Turbo Miata and a R32. The MCS can't win 0 to 60 with any of the others, but it wins in the twisties and most certainly in character quotient. I could go on about other great aspects of each of these cars but suffice it to say the MCS gets my vote!
Good points. :)
 

·
Happy Motorer!
Joined
·
60 Posts
Definitely go for black!!!

Although mine's a convertible Cooper S, you can see from the showroom pics in my gallery that black with chrome is definitely HOT! I've washed it three times in the last week that I've had it, so be prepared, especially if you live in an area where it's likely to get dirty.

I test drove a Honda S2000 and Mazda Miata before I looked at the MINIs, but it was really only to pass time until I could get to a MINI dealership. There is really no comparison. At all.

Spend the time while you're waiting to come home lurking on the MINI forums... it won't take you very long to get hooked. In the meantime, be safe, be brave, and come home soon!
 

·
totally sure!
Joined
·
25,310 Posts
Oooh Mr Haze.....
I spent days, weeks, months, too long actually looking for a car. I always knew I wanted a mini but I just had to go round test driving any car I could get my hands on. Yaris, Ka, Micra (not a word you lot!!), VW beetle, polo, etc, etc, etc. Get the picture? I got into most of them and didn't even bother driving them.....the Ka was an instant dislike and I have to say so was the Micra. Once I had slid into the Cooper I knew instantly I was happy and then once I had driven it...well, I just ordered it there and then much to the amusement of Mr Mouse :D

I was a regular visitor at the showroom and only changed my mind several times about the dash colour :confused: I was even the first person ordering from that showroom to have the chrome wing mirrors......how special was that!!!!

Go have a test drive....pwetty pwease :D
You won't be sorry and with all your available pennies you will have a super duper mini :D

Oooh go look at my gallery and see my little baby :D

Minnie xx
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top