MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i've been driving my mini ONE for a few months now, after passing my test this february, but driving is not enough!

I recently got the urge to KNOW cars, inside out, from minor repairs, to being able to understand the details of each system, maybe even carrying out certain modifications myself and what better place to start than on my own car right?

BUT, after opening the bonnet and having a good look inside, i realise it's going to be a long and challenging journy.

So, this is where i hope someone can help me, by answering these few questions...

My MAIN question... Where the hell do i start??

Does anyone have a labelled diagram of everything under the bonnet of a Mini One? or can get one?

And finally, where is the air filter? The diagrams in the owners handbook do not show it (unless i've missed something)

I hope someone can help me get started
Thanks

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Hi, i've been driving my mini ONE for a few months now, after passing my test this february, but driving is not enough!

I recently got the urge to KNOW cars, inside out, from minor repairs, to being able to understand the details of each system, maybe even carrying out certain modifications myself and what better place to start than on my own car right?

BUT, after opening the bonnet and having a good look inside, i realise it's going to be a long and challenging journy.

So, this is where i hope someone can help me, by answering these few questions...

My MAIN question... Where the hell do i start??

Does anyone have a labelled diagram of everything under the bonnet of a Mini One? or can get one?

And finally, where is the air filter? The diagrams in the owners handbook do not show it (unless i've missed something)

I hope someone can help me get started
Thanks
for a start the air filter is bottom right. under the fuse box there should be a larger black box, air panel filter under that lid.

what is you want to know exactly? :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Air filter under fuse box, thats a start!

But i really wanna know, how do i learn more about cars, (mine specificlly) i would love to be able to carry out maintenence and repairs on my own car, and understand whats what! but at the moment i look under the bonnet and i see a complex combination of gadgets, boxes, wires and tubes!!

Where do i start? is the main question

Thanks

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Air filter under fuse box, thats a start!

But i really wanna know, how do i learn more about cars, (mine specificlly) i would love to be able to carry out maintenence and repairs on my own car, and understand whats what! but at the moment i look under the bonnet and i see a complex combination of gadgets, boxes, wires and tubes!!

Where do i start? is the main question

Thanks
I would say the best thing to do would be to buy the haynes manual for new mini's and use it as a guide. It is really helpful but don't follow it step by step because some things are different.

And of course any other questions you can ask on here. :D

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
In my opinion, I would avoid the Haynes manual (they leave a lot out) and get the Bentley instead. This manual will go into great detail with good photos on how your car works. However, the Haynes is not a bad choice if you can't afford the Bentley price.

Amazon.com: Mini Cooper Service Manual: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 Cooper, Cooper S, including Convertible: Bentley Publishers: Books

Also, you could take a class of some sort on auto mechanics if you are that interested in learning. Reading these forums is also a great help.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Much better to be honest. It is about three times thicker and cost about three times more. ;)

Worth having if you turn any wrenches yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for a start the air filter is bottom right. under the fuse box there should be a larger black box, air panel filter under that lid.

what is you want to know exactly? :D
So how do i remove the air filter/air filter lid to check/change it? it seems to be attached to everything?!:)

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
So how do i remove the air filter/air filter lid to check/change it? it seems to be attached to everything?!:)
To be honest, I don't think you do - they have made it difficult. The idea is you can't check it yourself, so the dealer gets to make extra money out of you! Still, they don't need changing frequently apparently!;)

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
To be honest, I don't think you do - they have made it difficult. The idea is you can't check it yourself, so the dealer gets to make extra money out of you! Still, they don't need changing frequently apparently!;)
This is an incorrect as it depends on where you drive. People that are dusty roads should check the air filter more often than people on regular city driving. Filters are fairly easy to change, but do require you to have a small knowledge of how to use tools.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts