MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, to cut a long story short - the wheelnuts on my S were not tightened properly and became loose which meant that the wheel was actually moving above on the hub which was causing vibration and scraping noises, particularly when backing off. I've now tightened them and the noise and vibrations have gone.

However, now I have a vibration when going about 60 - 65 mph which can be felt through the wheel and worsens when braking. Has anybody got any idea what could be causing this and what I should do??? I dont think it can be warped discs as they are only 7 days old - possibly tracking etc??

Please help me

Alex

·
Registered
362 Posts
The wheel bolts also hold the disk on. There are a couple of little screws but they are only there to stop the disk rotating or rolling off down the road when you are changing the wheel. (Some cars don't have the little screws at all).

I would take the wheels and disks off and check for any damage or debris between the disk and the hub.

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
Something occured to me. If the wheel was loose enough to be slideing around, then perhaps the area around the hub has taken a beating and distorted the wheel where it is supposed to fit . The MINI wheels are "hub-centric", meaning that in addition to the lug bolts that hold the wheel to the hub/disc the load on the wheel is supposed to be shared by the center opening of the wheel and a very snug fit around a small flange that is part of the hub.

It could be that the aluminum wheel has been battered enough so that it isn't centered.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wheel nuts were not tightened up when I had new brakes fitted - they have now been correctly tightened and torqued but there is still a slight vibration!

Its the cause of this vibration im looking for -- took it to a Garage today and they reckon there nothing obvious wrong with it and did the tracking and balancing which hasn't improved the situation.

·
Registered
884 Posts
If you haven't done so, do as Bilbo suggested. Remove the rims from the car and inspect the hub area for damage. I'm assuming, as you didn't mention it, that you're running stock MINI rims? I think I might also have the rims rebalanced and checked for trueness. With the vibration one of the stick on weights may have been thrown off or, worse case senerio, a rim warped from the stress of running loose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts