MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2010 59 plate, PSA engined mini for a week and had done around 400 miles without issue in that time. It conked out on me whilst pulling away and now doesn't start but does make a starting noise. It has 122k on the clock. Any idea what it could be? Or what diagnostics I could do myself?

The previous owner had it sat for a couple years (of the 7 years they owned it) and it's done approximately 5k miles in those 2 years - it needs a full service and probably a bit of tlc to get the maintenance aspects up to speed - any recommendations? Where can I buy the service parts and where would you recommend near East Oxford other than a mini dealer for a full checkup/ service/ repair/ diagnosis?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It turned out to be the EGR valve. Does anyone recommend where to get a replacement?
I'm looking at a HAAS one from euro car parts for £125 - any good?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
below link genuine part and by far best way forward with them, they also need to be set to ecu with software after fitting, autocom cdp plus on ebay will do it,
autocom cdp plus
most garages charge to do egr programming £40-£200 depending on where you go, also are you sure its the egr valve and not carbon build up from dpf filter being blocked causing the egr valve not to close very common, if were mine and on both of my past clubman d i deleted the egr and dpf filter and drop a eco map on them around 160bhp both those cars a number of years later still running around with no issues, really is a no brainer on that level.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a diagnostics guy come out and the reader stated the EGR was the problem. I've ordered the Haas one now and if any further issues I'll look to your mapping solution. Cheers for replying.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
if it turns out its not egr valve ie depending on the code ie if a plausibility fault code then chance are it will be what i said ie carbon dirt etc dpf, or of course might just need cleaning if had its dpf done around 75k as part of service work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I've been quoted £25 diagnostics, £50 to fit the EGR valve, and £100 for the service to fit the air, oil, fuel, pollen filters and an oil change - all in my street over 2 visits. Total labour cost is £175 - is that reasonable? I thought service labour should be a lot less considering I have all the parts and EGR is a half hour job? And I'm wondering if a re-map might be the right thing to do.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
its one of those as your only scraping the surface, so with the cooper d engines up to march 2010 after this date bmw use their own n47 diesel and slightly different and so much more hassle,
if you were to keep the car stock ie particulate filter in the exhaust and additvive tank that needs refilling every 45.000 miles and again reset the counter with diagnostics, if went to main dealer 75000 miles is what volvo and ford strictly say as to life of the dpf and 45k for additive as are service items, ie its same engine and systems in volvo ford peugeot citroen 1.6hdi looking at with labour £600-£1000 depending on where take it, black magic can delete it all and make car so much better for a lot less than that, with bonus that engine oil stays clean after and car will do better mpg as filter not restricting it also can drive around in 6th gear all way down to 1000 revs and still picks up, ring him ask to speak to john say spoken to me and ask for a price and options etc. hand on heart when its all done its totally night and day to way car drives and dont hurt it as much

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
its a visual test, on mini the dpf is in two parts so no cutting or welding and still keeps the numbers showing, as for gas test ironically they go through that reading lower than with the filter in as a dpf only 100% works when brand new and by 75000 miles its used up so restricts the flow ie treat a engine as a big air pump restrict either end and it becomes restricted and fuel dont get burnt correctly ie thats big down fall with them when regen and worn out they load engine oil full for diesel and wears it out faster, as well as all the other bad stuff it will do with over heat and pressure,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts