MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone i have a 2002 Mini Cooper with a Borla cat back Pipercross intake and a MTH remap,seems like i'll be needing a new clutch as the car shudders on first engagement in the morning, after that it runs ok but am going easy on it.I see no point in replacing with a standard clutch as they are weak in the first place.I see on research that Lohen has a Helix organic clutch kit for 265.00 quid,and Mini Mania UK has a stage 1 organic 279.41,stage 2 Kevlar 259.00 and a stage3 carbon/ceramic racing clutch for 390.62.However they dont say who these 3 clutches are made by,can anyone out there in the know give me some guidance in the right direction,i am a spirited driver but dont race,did'nt buy an s because i thought the clutch to be very stiff for everyday driving.Regards Peter

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On further research i found a company called clutchmasters,the unit looks tops in stage 1 2and3,anyone ever used these units and whats the quality like??

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Miniac,
yea there's lots of threads on NAM as well regarding Clutchmasters kits and seems the way to go everyone seems happy with them,not much on Spec kits in terms of reviews or comments so i've pulled the trigger on the CM FX200.Cheers and Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gentlemen,one last thing i'll be ordering this kit out of the USA.My car is a european model right hand drive as in the UK.Are they any differences that would make the clutch not fit up.2002 mini cooper (non s) midlands gearbox??

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am also open to suggestions as to what else to replace while the car is opened up,bushings mounts etc,it's working and have time to collect parts in advance,dont want to be doing this twice.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
LHD/RHD are the same as far as I know , worth changing the gearbox oil seal ,(inexpensive) as they can leak and trash your new clutch and you dont want to do it twice!
There is an exedy clutch/flywheel very shortly to be released by all accounts !!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LHD/RHD are the same as far as I know , worth changing the gearbox oil seal ,(inexpensive) as they can leak and trash your new clutch and you dont want to do it twice!
There is an exedy clutch/flywheel very shortly to be released by all accounts !!!
First of all THANKS for the replys and the advise gentlemen.Where can i get this seal,is one available aftermarket and of better quality and lastly can it be changed externally without having to go into the gearbox

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i've ordered a stage 1 clutch and flywheel kit along with a pack of Poly bushes for the engine and gearbox.If the gearbox is leaking and i have to open it up for a seal i might as well rebuild it.So i shall cross that bridge when i get to it,this tranny has worked fine so far as i change the oil with every other engine oil change.I use a similar quality product to Redline called Amsoil as i cant get Redline here

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks mate i have a pack of polyurathane aftermarket mounts for the engine and gearbox included in the order.Cant remember who makes them ,got em from Lohen as a complete pack.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts