MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new, been thinking of getting a Mini for a while. I have found one that I like through a private sale, the only thing that I'm concerned about is the servicing??

The person who has it at the moment has told me that the last service was done in Jan 07 at around 40,000 miles. The car is due a service now I have been told as the service light is on, the only thing that concerns me is that it now has 63,000 miles on the clock...

I have been doing some research and have found out that Mini's servicing schedules are different to most car as they dont tell you in the service book when it is due, it is all done by computer.

Is this bad that the service hasnt been done for 20,000 miles would it effect its little engine?
Am I best the stay clear of this or would it be ok?

Thanks.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Depends on how its been driven - if his gone by the mini dash and its said he didnt need a service til then then thats fine, its probably motorway miles which is fine.

Looking at my mini service history - one was done at 9k, then 25k then 42k.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that advise. It is motorway miles that the previous owner has done in the Mini.

At least I know now that I'm not going to be buying someone else's troubles...

·
Registered
241 Posts
my mini service history - one was done at 9k, then 25k then 42k.
Looking at that it is very consistent 16,000 miles then 17,000 miles between services. My advice would be look at the service book and see when the service was done before 40,000 miles, that will give you a better picture on how well the car has been looked after.
It's possibly fine but maybe the service light has been on a while, you could insist the car is serviced as part of the sale.

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
23,000 miles between services is unusually long, but nothing to worry about if the indicator isn't showing a negative figure (meaning overdue by that many miles).

MINIs don't have service lights, they show the mileage until the next service is due. What is this car showing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts