MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2002 Mini Cooper S 6speed - I lost my clutch the other day after noticing the car revving extremely high. Do I need to get the clutch & flywheel and what's this solid single or dual I keep seeing ?

Please help ?

· Registered
13,590 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2002 Mini Cooper S 6speed - I lost my clutch the other day after noticing the car revving extremely high. Do I need to get the clutch & flywheel and what's this solid single or dual I keep seeing ?

Please help ?
yours should have a dual mass flywheel.. dmf for short, it works like a drive line shock ab-sober so cushions the forces to the crankshaft and the gearbox this allows the gearbox to be built with lighter parts smaller bearings etc,, the down side is they only tend to last 70-120k miles depending on how used, so a motorway only car will prob never need one 300k maybe, a car used only in town on a high performance car driven hard 50k maybe,, or someone who just dumps out the clutch a lot or wheel spins or drives the car ver very low revs ie under 1500 revs everywhere will destroy them faster than a engine reving at 2300 revs min point,,
some people remove them replace with single mass solid flywheel kit, these have pro's and con's. pro's are they can be driven low revs high torque and wont damage the flywheel. com's is driving like that will just move this force to another part of gearbox ie input bearing and syncro and internals,, also solid ones have more vibration and gear changes can be more snicky compared to the dmf,, my personal view on them and i have had both over the years, is you cant beat the dmf for living with its smooth and gear changes are right and its kinder on the rest of the drive line,,
we had a company who had transit tippers they kept destroying the flywheels dmf, so instructed us to fit solid flywheels against our views,, after nearly all those transit had destroyed gearboxes with in 6 months they reverted back to dmf again,, when before they only had clutch and dmf issues,, those transits were used on tips and got stuck a lot and over loaded and drivers drove them very hard,, solid flywheel is a car that is driven nice and match the road speed with engine speed before changing gear cuts downs the drive line shunts they work ok but still bot as smooth as a factory dmf

· Registered
13,590 Posts
Thank you so much for that information, I did wanna ask if theres anyway to tell prior if I'd need a new flywheel before having the car taken apart
not really, i can tell normally just by driving them but when they dont drive its a toss up between flywheel centre bearing and broken thrust or even input shaft bearing or back plate fingers broken.
normally best to strip it work out what it needs, that said i would always put a new flywheel in a car with 100k ish on it future proof it plus most flywheels dont do 200k, believe me if you dont do the dmf at same time and then 6 months later it fails after spending out on all that labour to change a clutch you will feel sick, ie gearbox out again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.