MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello mini owners. Hoping I can draw on some experiences here. My 2015 4dr Cooper turbo suddenly started blowing hot air, posted alert that the engine is over heating, and the battery is not charging. I pop the hood and notice that the accessory belt is not spinning, shut down the engine to checked the belt and it's not broken (has tension). Vehicle has about 30k miles.

Wanted to dig some more but had to make a mad dash to the airport via Uber. If you've experienced this please share what was the cause. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
bottom pulley torsion damper is what its called made of rubber between the two surface or the pulley these can fail when do the outer part of pulley wont spin link below for a idea of what it is, WARNING DO NOT UNDO THE BIG 18MM BOLT IN THE CENTRE ONLY THE TORX BOLTS AROUND IT AS WILL DESTROY ENGINE IF RESTARTED AFTER, need to pop wheel off and plastic in wheel arch out and go have a look also might find alternator bearing might of failed and dug the belt or belt stretched and cant grip bottom pulley but that would be near impossible just keep open mind to it but most likely is that pulley as do fail
please check with the vendor for fitment etc,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bottom pulley torsion damper is what its called made of rubber between the two surface or the pulley these can fail when do the outer part of pulley wont spin link below for a idea of what it is, WARNING DO NOT UNDO THE BIG 18MM BOLT IN THE CENTRE ONLY THE TORX BOLTS AROUND IT AS WILL DESTROY ENGINE IF RESTARTED AFTER, need to pop wheel off and plastic in wheel arch out and go have a look also might find alternator bearing might of failed and dug the belt or belt stretched and cant grip bottom pulley but that would be near impossible just keep open mind to it but most likely is that pulley as do fail

Thanks Mike! I will give it a good look when back home later this week and update.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike! I will give it a good look when back home later this week and update.

Late response but wanted to give credit to Mike and share how lucky i was. it's exactly what Mike said. I thought i was out luck and was about to shell out some hard cash but turns out i still had about a week left of warranty by the time i got home from my business trip. had it towed to the nearest dealer the same day i got back and the folks at Mini in Monrovia, California replaced the bad part and also hooked me up with a new battery and belt as a courtesy. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Late response but wanted to give credit to Mike and share how lucky i was. it's exactly what Mike said. I thought i was out luck and was about to shell out some hard cash but turns out i still had about a week left of warranty by the time i got home from my business trip. had it towed to the nearest dealer the same day i got back and the folks at Mini in Monrovia, California replaced the bad part and also hooked me up with a new battery and belt as a courtesy. Thanks again.
your welcome glad it ended well for you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts