MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to get a MCS for the new year, but insurance is an issue. I called Geico and Progressive, they quoted me for $1900-2400/6 months. I'm 22, just got my license this July. This will also my be very first car if I do get it. Is there anything I can do to get a cheaper rate? :(

·
94 Posts
Shop around a lot. Geico and Progressive are competitive, but they're not always the cheapest. Call up a bunch of insurance brokers and get them to check around for you. Make sure you go with a reputable company, though. Other than that, avoid tickets, don't wreck your car and wait. Insurance rates go down as you drive longer. It's still expensive, but you get used to it. The only other thing I could suggest would be check out the rates on an MC rather than an MCS. Still a massively fun car to drive, but cheaper to buy and insure. Good luck!

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
minixixi said:
I really want to get a MCS for the new year, but insurance is an issue. I called Geico and Progressive, they quoted me for $1900-2400/6 months. I'm 22, just got my license this July. This will also my be very first car if I do get it. Is there anything I can do to get a cheaper rate? :(
Oh my, now we're talking Canadian prices here! Hahaha...erm...

Like alcibiades said, shop around. But being newly licensed and 22, that works against you. Plus, the S will be more than the Cooper. Try the rates for the Cooper and set your deductible to $500.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bad credit+new driver?

Thanks for the advice. I was just checking out the rate for MC, no big differences, just about $200 less than MCS. I also tried different cars (Toyota, Honda). The quote was not significantly lower. I hope my credit is not that bad. :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ah..

I'm actually a girl, but it didnt help much in this case. I will probably get the MCS, despite of the high insurance cost. Hopefully , the rate will go down after a year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't think it's going to matter too much where you go. I think the biggest thing that will hurt you is your lack of driver history and the fact that the MCS is supercharged. Insurance companies love cars that are supercharged. :rolleyes:

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.