MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got myself a tamiya model of the new mini, It went together pretty easily but I am having problems painting the body, the paint keeps running under my masking, even though I am using a minimal amount of paint on each layer and makes the finish look really bad. Any suggestions for better masking, I am currently using masking tape.

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
What are you using for masking? I used to race rc cars at national level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got to club championships under my belt! (Milton Keynes Radio Control Touring Car Club, Summer Series and Carpet Champs :D )

Masking tape does work, just you NEED to use GOOD maskin tape, like scotch.

ONE THING ALSO. Use decent quality paint. Pactra isnt all that, and is common. We always used custom colours.

I looked up a guide for you, which i thinks the best one....

http://www.greathobbies.com/document/tech_lexan_bodies.html

Hope this is of help mate :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is this a clear plastic shell?

If so, have you cleaned it, oil-free and STATIC free?

Try an adhesion promotor

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
Cleaing is over rated. Yeah clean it, with fairy liquid, but thats not the main reason for running paint. Bad masking is, you REALLY got to rub the masking tape down.

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
one tip i found out. when you have applied the masking tape. put slightly more overlapping than you need. Then score the masking tape with a blunt implement like a pen, along the edge where you want to paint up to. this prevents paint runs. remember when painting, less and thinner is better, with more coats applied after it dries. pics of my tamiya are in my gallery for viewing if you want to see my paint jobs.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
scooperman_uk said:
one tip i found out. when you have applied the masking tape. put slightly more overlapping than you need. Then score the masking tape with a blunt implement like a pen, along the edge where you want to paint up to. this prevents paint runs. remember when painting, less and thinner is better, with more coats applied after it dries. pics of my tamiya are in my gallery for viewing if you want to see my paint jobs.

Nice paint job, as long as I can a finish like that I will be happy :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RobHardyUK said:
What are you using for masking? I used to race rc cars at national level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got to club championships under my belt! (Milton Keynes Radio Control Touring Car Club, Summer Series and Carpet Champs :D )

Masking tape does work, just you NEED to use GOOD maskin tape, like scotch.

ONE THING ALSO. Use decent quality paint. Pactra isnt all that, and is common. We always used custom colours.

I looked up a guide for you, which i thinks the best one....

http://www.greathobbies.com/document/tech_lexan_bodies.html

Hope this is of help mate :)
Cheers for the webpage, lots of useful info. :cool:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Just a thought: are you trying to paint the inside or the outside of the body moulding? The outside of many Tamiya lits are covered with a thin protective coating (to protect the exterior from overspray) which peels off when you are done. If you are painting the outside, no amount of masking tape will work if the protective covering (which is nearly invisible) isn't removed. The idea is that painting the outside will result in chips when crashed so it isn't designed to be painted like a static kit.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am painting on the inside, I have found on the web you can buy a spray type mask that you spray over the model and then cut out the bits you want to paint once it has dried. Seems a bit expensive though

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
Experience is what counts. do you know you can buy pre painted lexan shells? Phone Apex models up on 01344 777918 and ask to speak to kevin brunsden, best bloke to advise you. He will give you painting tips aswell, tho it might be his old man who does them! They are very helpful.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RobHardyUK said:
Experience is what counts. do you know you can buy pre painted lexan shells? Phone Apex models up on 01344 777918 and ask to speak to kevin brunsden, best bloke to advise you. He will give you painting tips aswell, tho it might be his old man who does them! They are very helpful.
Think I will try and give it a go by myself, but if I do a real bad job I may have to use Apex models, I take it is in Berkshire as that prefix is familiar.

·
Sotherner up north
1,221 Posts
scooperman_uk said:
Scoops- are you bringing your RC to the Stelvio run? sounds like a perfect excuse for a RC race :D

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Scrap the masking tape. Get some striping tape. More expensive but it will give you a clean cut line and it works much better around bends. You can also use sheets of mylar with adhesive on one side. Cut it out to fit the window and stick it on.

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
trialsride said:
Think I will try and give it a go by myself, but if I do a real bad job I may have to use Apex models, I take it is in Berkshire as that prefix is familiar.
yeah crowthorne. They will just give you advise as there alright :)

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
I recommend Novak if you do, LRP are also good, but have always been more unreliable. in my vast experience. Its address is:

Apex Models
182 Dukes Ride,
Crowthorne,
Berkshire,
RG45 6DS,
England.

:)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thinner paint = runnier layers if it's your first time... go dry.

What airbrush are you using.

I would not recomend any ANY hobbiest airbrushes, no badgers, azteks, tamiya's, paasche's or anything that is not chrome.

Good luck and yes good masking is essential, but so is cleaning and priming the plastic.
Then you NEED to seal it all in for longevity!

Good Luck and have fun!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
7 Participants
VegasD
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing