MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to bring this up again guys and gals but would really appreciate some help at the moment, you see my cooper is currently 2 months old with 1600 miles on the clock and problems just keep appearing- theres nothing major just the normal rattles, squeaks and pulls and the cars been back to the dealers about 10 times- they just can't seem to fix it- its even going back tomorrow...

so i've been searching the forum and see that alot of people have or trying to reject there cars- this is where i need help, i mean the obvious thing to do is to speak to them directly i know but i'm afraid that they'll just shut me out- then i won't know wot to do... service has been good and i don't want to make a big deal about it- bring in lawyers etc.

so for the people who have reject their cars- did u get a replacement mini or did u get your money back? and how far did u go in the end? and maybe if u could tell me how long it took?

i do love the car and nothing else on the market can compare, but since reading everyones rejection posts, the idea has just become more and more tempting...

sorry again if im boring u but would really apreciate some advice cause im quite lost at the moment :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry i've put this thread in the wrong area, can a moderator please be kind enough to move it to the cooper forum, thx

·
MINI2 Lurker + Sponsor
1,208 Posts
This is the only help I can offer (i've just been succesful in my rejection 4 months and 7800 miles after purchase, and that is not the most miles of a rejected car).

If you are a member of the AA you can get free legal advice, speak to them first. Your motor/house insurance may also offer this.

Put your intention to reject your vehicle in writing to your dealers Sales Manager and Dealer Principal. List as much detail as possible, faults, visits to dealer etc.. Then inform MINI customer services of your intentions. (01344 480880 and ask for Customer Services), this is your fallback in case your dealer is less than helpful.

Hope for the best, keep pushing if they don't accept it back immediately, it took 6 weeks to get mine accepted back (and a change of Sales Manager), we are yet to work out the details of the 'buy-back', but hopefully they will be mutually acceptable. The main hurdle in my case was getting the dealer to accept the car back as faulty.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ar thx for that buddy- at first that info seemed abit extreme but i guess thats why u got to go if u wanna do it, has any ever sorted it after a quiet talk with their dealers? i probably feel the same as u cmt at the moment- u just get to a point where u just don't want it any more... :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
The rejection of our MINI was 'relatively' simple. First of all I listed all of the problems we had from day one, even if they have been fixed, along with any ongoing issues. Put a letter together to the dealer principal, expressing my disapointment, then I gave them the car for 2 weeks and said that we expected all the faults to be fixed, and that if any re-occur then I will be looking to reject the vehicle. Send a copy of the letter to BMW and MINI Customer services.

Car was picked up on a Saturday morning. The drivers door was still faulty. Actually did not open for the sales manager (his face was a picture). Then 2 days later windscreen trim fell off. enough was enough.....

Dealer had to agree that we had more than enough faults and almost volunteered us a replacement car.

To conclude I feel that there are fair dealers out there, and others that are not so good. Pot luck I am afraid, as to how painful the process will be.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how would u say that enough is enough? because i'd say that my car has only minor (but annoying) faults, i mean i would be happy if they got fixed, but would be even happier if i could get a new "better" mini

um wot kind of mini would u classify as a "rejection" mini?

currently my car has: -

pulling to left (can't be fixed)
rattle from dash (unable to fix)
rattle from passenger door (recent new fault)
unusually loud wind/road noise coming from doors/windows (gets louder with time)
squeaky seats (unable to fix)

does everybody think thats enough? i don't want to reject it unless i am sure that it will be 100% rejected otherwise if i tried and didn't work- i will be extremely disappointed... does anyone feel the same? advie please :)

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
My October car has had the following wrong with it:

Seats repaired 4 times (still creaking).

R/H door mirror replaced (heater element stopped working).

Suspension settings adjusted twice to stop left drift.

Electrical problems (happened twice).

Battery cover replaced (cracked and fixing lug missing).

Steering wheel centred (not square when driving straight).

Rear window wiper arm replaced twice (not clearing top of window).

Plastic roof guttering clips replaced (plastic guttering kept working loose).

Loose rear seat back bolts (rattled when driving over bumps. Tightened myself).

Mini disk unit replaced because of battery drain problem.

Fuel tank senders replaced to cure faulty fuel gauge.

To top it off I have got to have new hydraulic tappets fitted to cure a rattle from the engine on cold starts!!

My dealer is talking with me at the weekend about replacing the car!

Still love the MINI though!
My dealers been top notch so far.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so martyn or anyone else, do u think that my case is enough for a rejection? i mean i've been to the dealer to get stuff fixed loads of times (but not as much as r1 :))

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Redhotmini said:
how would u say that enough is enough? because i'd say that my car has only minor (but annoying) faults, i mean i would be happy if they got fixed, but would be even happier if i could get a new "better" mini

um wot kind of mini would u classify as a "rejection" mini?
I don't know if this helps, but I had words with the Customer Services Manager of my dealership tonight and touched on 'what if' scenarios relating to rejecting my September build ONE. She basically reiterated the salesmen and dealer manager's comments that regardless of the faults they are legally allowed to have a stab at repairing them a few times before they would even entertain the idea of accepting the car back. (This does differ from dealer to dealer though as you can see above).

Personally, if something squeaked I'd try and oil it myself, if it rattled I'd either turn up the stereo or wait until I had a few gripes with the car or it was due for a service before getting them looked at. If it's something mechanical then that's another matter entirely.

So far I've had a cracked windscreen, painful drivers seat (replacement ordered last November and still no sign), flat battery due to the dodgy MiniDisc Unit, replaced suspension (but no change to the drift), the ECU was sneakily replaced without telling me and the latest glitch is the roof and wheel arch trims are falling off. I convinced myself for months that I'd put up with it as I love the car so much, but I've now reached the point where I just don't trust this particular car any longer. No matter how many repairs my dealers make, the point is surely that they shouldn't have to keep repairing a car that's only 4 months old (and for completely unrelated issues each time).

My faith in the MINI is as strong as ever, but my faith in MY MINI is almost non existent now..:(

A 2 page letter of complaint has been sent to the dealers/BMW/MINI tonight, so I'll wait and see what happens.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mine was rejected after 3 months and 4000 miles. Was pretty easy, after the first time of 'magic' windows and doors, I let them fix it on the proviso that if it happened again I would reject the car. I put this in writing to my dealer and cc'd in BMW customer services.

WHen the problem reoccured I sent the car back on a trailer, got a hire car and then dealer accepted my rejection no problems, (although did say that my rejection didn't meet requirements under Sale of Goods Act 1994, but the would accept it anyway!!).

Currently have a loan One until my replacement below arrives, sometime next month.

Martyn - how long from rejection to arrival of Amy2 will it be? and how long from your build week to next Sat is that? Cheers.

If you need anymore advice do a search for rejection or similar and you should find the letter I sent to my dealer and other peoples as well.

Hope thats of some help.

PS. Sorry should have said, all I'm paying is difference in cost of extra options, but I am getting a little bit off for trouble and already got bootloader as good will gesture from BMW/dealer.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
expert advice needed again

hi everyone

need some help again :( , i've got my car back again today after it had been to the dealers for a fix (rattle from dash) and they still haven't sorted it out :mad:- this has just peed me right off because its the third time its been in for this problem, and each time they say they've fixed it?!

now "rejection" has just become more and more tempting, can anyone recommend me doing this? i'm hoping to go to the dealers this weekend for a chat, but im not exactly sure what i should say, any tips please???

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
I had a lengthy chat with the Customer Services Manager at my dealers yesterday on this subject and it all seems to hang on whether or not you have a problem with your dealers or 'the product' (i.e. the design/build quality of YOUR car).

If you're complaining about the fact that your dealers haven't been able to fix a rattle, then they're likely to turn around and offer to fix it again or give you something by way of (dealer related) compensation. If you go in complaining that despite their best efforts, the car is resisting all attempts at being fixed then they're more likely to side with you, should you decide to reject the car.

Personally I'd avoid mentioning other cases of rejection you know of through this site until you're in a stronger position as it's likely to just get their backs up! The sweeter you can keep the dealers, the more likely they are to help you smooth the path to a new car if that's the route you decide to take.

To be fair though, rattles and squeaks are the kind of problems that are easy to miss in the PDI checks and most dealers will dismiss these as being things that will wear themselves in. My dealer mentioned in passing to me that the only reason they would take a car back is if it had a 'dangerous' mechanical fault (and they don't consider the drift to be one of these!). If you reach this point with them, then it's time to start quoting the Sale of Goods Act, but beware, as they're likely to have been swotting up on it!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
GOOD LUCK with your new car Martyn. Lets hope things are starting to settle down on the production line. Hope everything is perfect. Let us know, I am sure you will:D

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Silver and Black said:
GOOD LUCK with your new car Martyn. Lets hope things are starting to settle down on the production line. Hope everything is perfect. Let us know, I am sure you will:D
Yeh good luck Martyn;)

LMB:D

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i was just wondering (i very much doubt it though), but has anyone received a full refund over their rejection? i suppose they would only go there in extreme cases- like the wheels fell off or something :)

thx

·
Registered
247 Posts
That's the same for me, I've just paid a little extra for a few extra options that I chose, then when my original credit agreement finish in 2.5 years my car will be paid for.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Just a quick question to those of you who have succesfully had your MINI's rejected.
Did BMW/MINI inspect your cars as part of the rejection process?
My dealer has phoned me this morning and said that MINI want to inspect my car. Just wondered why?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not as far as I am aware, I just sent it back on a trailer and then called them to see when I could pick up a MINI loan car, and when I could go in to spec my replacement.

Don't give them anything to stall on or find a way out. If you let them think you aren't serious and will go to whatever it takes, then you'll be in trouble.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts