MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my steering column replaced on my 2004 MC due to a cold weather knock (seems pretty common on this board). However, two days later I got in my car after it was sitting for a day and the knock was there again!! I NEED to know is the fix just replacing the steering column or does the spindle have to be replaced too. I want my smooth steering back!! :mad:

·
sm1les
37 Posts
steering knock

hi,
I have had the same problem with my '02 MC, from day one.
At one stage the steering was so bad, it was not only knocking but a grinding and this was not only when the car was cold!
over a period of a year the car was in and out of the MINI dealership and over time i had 7 new steering wheel colums and 4 steering racks. i had a senior tech from plant oxford come and look at the car bit they could not find a single problem with it. then after a year I went to another dealership and there they said it was a steering bolt, this did not fix the problem.
then after all this i managed to get commpensation from BMW GB, but even now the problem is still around, but only very very lightly, but its o.k., but now there si a probloem with the suspension !!!!!!!! :( :( ahahah :mad:
any way after all this time the car is fine and fixed, so the moral is persist this problem can be fixed! but be persistant, the steering on a car is really important and ,make sure the MINI dealership do it properly!

Miles
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 2005 MC SC - Hyper Blue, Chili Pack, Dark Blue Roof, Dark Blue Gravity leather, Heated Seats, H/K Speakers, Sat Nav, MSW, DSC, Elc Fold Mirrors, heated Washer jets, Vis pack, CD, Radio Boost, Bonnet stripes, Bullet wheels, Spot lights, First aid and triangle, Pass airbag deactivation,TLC, Wind deflector and JCW Kit

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Took my MINI with its squeeky, clicky, clunky, ticking steering wheel in and a new column is on order. Column has a fair bit of play in it by now. Will see if that fixes it. Also looking at some other bits...

Harry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strange!! - Went to the dealer - lubed the column

The dealer sprayed some kind of lubricant into the steering column joints and the knocking is gone. I waited over night and the knocking is gone!!??? Is this problem a lubrication issue rather than mechanical? :confused:

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
There is no fix :(

My dealer eventually gave up on mine after a half dozen attempts. BMW intially acknowledge my problem and then denied there was a problem when they ran out of ideas to fix it :rolleyes:

I ended selling the car and moving on.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No FIX!!

Just wondering if this really is a serious fault or more of an annoyance. It seems my has been cured for now with some extra lubrication. If this is all that is needed I will buy the same lubricant and do it myself whenever it happens. Or is it going to get worse over time? :confused:

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
BMW "thought" it was an installation problem.
My dealer made several attempts at fitting numerous columns and then eventually after they gave up BMW sent somebody from the factory to fix. That didn't work :(

From a "very reliable" source I know this is a problem but one not "recongnised" officially. Not economic to remedy as there's not enough complaints :rolleyes:

I don't consider it a major fault but it's a serious annoyance. My Cooper had this problem which was fixed, my first MCS didn't have the problem at all, but my last MCS was the huge problem.
It's this frustration in inconsistancy that led me to seek an alternative car.

·
sm1les
37 Posts
The dealer fixed the knocking with another steering wheel colum, a steering bolt and rack, that fixed it.
but as you can see previously it took nearly a year and two dearlers to find the problem.
miles

·
Registered
137 Posts
My steering column has just started clunking again after only 17 000km. That is not normal. Is there anything you can do yourself to stop it, or does it have to be replaced again? :(

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
On my car it seems like the steering column has play in it so I'd say at least in my case that it is more than just a lubrication problem. All these similar sounding problems may not be the same though.

Harry

·
Registered
23 Posts
<AOL> Me too! </AOL>

This has just started happening on my MCS (after 13000 miles) -- it's a "clunk --- clunk --- clunk" as I turn to full lock either way, and only happens when cold.

It's just about to go for its first oil service, so I think I'll phone them and pre-warn them that this will need looking at. I'm quite relieved that other people have had this, I thought it was something I'd done!!

- Ian

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mine started after sitting for two weeks

I just got back from a vacation (and a trip to the MINI plant). My car sat in the garage for 2 weeks. Now, upon my return, I have the steering knock. I didn't have it before. Makes me think it might have something to do with lubrication since it seems too coincidental that it happened after getting no use for two weeks.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Finally got the fix today. Upper and lower steering columns and ignition cylinder/lock replaced. Wow, what a difference! The old one had so much play in it but the new one is solid and silent. Night and day!

Harry

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hm. very worrying reading this thread. My car has just developed a clicking, clunking, knocking in the steering also!!!!!!!! Into the dealer on Tuesday.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Finally got round to getting my car into the dealer yesterday (Menzies in Stirling), and they're going to fit a new steering column under warranty.

They don't keep them in stock which suggests that this fault isn't that common.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts