MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Patiently waiting...
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...I'm new to the MINI thing! Need a little help speccing out my MC. All I've owned are Jeeps, so this is definitely going to be a change for me!

I am on a fairly tight budget (two girls and wife is stay-at-home mom)...here is what I'm trying to decide between:

Option 1:
Cold Weather Package
DSC
MFSW

Option 2:
Cold Weather Package
Sunroof

Cold Weather Package is a must as I live in Michigan. Also, I am open to suggestions...are there any other necessities for the Cooper?

Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
What fun - helping spec a Mini. I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice/opinions. :) Here's my $0.02 for what it's worth. Right now I have on 02 MC w/ all three packages, so I've had a chance to use all the major options on a regular basis.

The cold weather package, as you said is a must. Plus at only $300, it really is a bargain.

The sunroof is a wonderful luxury option. If you are using the car to carry all four of you on a regular basis, I'd seriously consider it. Our two kids have never complained of feeling crowded in the back (ages 12 and 6) and I think that the openness you get with the sunroof greatly contributes to that feeling. For me, it is the one option that gets used daily and I couldn't imaging not having it.

DSC is also a sound addition for winter driving especially since that is the only way to get the traction control. (that may not be true in other markets, but I believe ASC in US requires DSC.)

The multifunction wheel is a nice to have IMHO but not as big a factor in improving the motoring experience for everybody. Especially with the swith to the new 3 spoke wheel, where they removed the ability to switch between CD and radio. If you have to switch modes, on the radio it probably isn't that big a deal to hit another button for a station. If you seldom use cruise control, that's one more reason to skip the MFSW.

So, if I were looking at a reasonable blend of comforts and safety additions w/o breaking the bank, I'd go with:

Cold weather
Sun roof
DSC

You haven't addressed the really hard question of color though, lol :D :D

·
Patiently waiting...
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice so far.

dansmini...why do you think the 16" wheels are a must? Is there any benefit other than looks and run flats (if you consider those a benefit)?

indimini...I think I agree with you...I don't know that I would use cruise very often so opting for something else might be the right idea. You are absolutely right about choosing color...that is EXTREMELY difficult. I think I've narrowed it down to either black w/ white or red w/ white. I'm kind of leaning towards red w/ white...however overdone it may be!!!

Keep it coming!!! Any other advice/ opinions are appreciated...while your at it, you might as well suggest a color!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have 16" and they offer a nice ride, but I did get rid of the runflats after about 20K miles. They were very noisy tires and the cost of repair/replacement is a bit steep if they do get damaged. I've found the 16" non runflats to offer a much more enjoyable ride even if they're not quite as grippy in the turns (that's a function of going w/ all season vs. summer tires as much as anything.)

I guess coming from a Jeep the Mini even w/ 17" or 18" low profile tires would feel less harsh. :)

B/W or R/W are both excellent choices. Are you doing white wheels/mirrors too? Black does show the dirt and fingerprints though. Are you adding bonnet stripes?

·
Patiently waiting...
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think if I were to get 16" wheels, I'd go aftermarket so it wouldn't be in my monthly payment...I'm trying to keep that low and get the "must haves" that cannot be purchased aftermarket.

I will be getting the bonnet stripes too. Do you know if the dealer charges to put those on? I know they are only $79.00, but it is a dealer installed accesory so I'm guessing they will charge for that.

·
Registered
514 Posts
My dealer said they did charge to put them on. Something like $200 for stripes installed. Seemed kinda high. Lucky for me, my "S" spec gets them as one of the packages. Now if they would just start building it... :rolleyes:

·
Patiently waiting...
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$200.00 seems like a lot to have some stripes put on...maybe I should do that myself!!!

So you are still waiting for yours to be built? How long did they say it would take?

I checked with Motor City MINI (my local dealer) and they said it would be about 3 months from the time the order is placed...does that seem accurate?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah 3 months sounds about right, thats how long mine took anyhows.

go for the chome interior you'll love it when you see it, i only added it coz of what ppl said on here and i couldn't live without it now :p

Enjoy picking your bits

·
Registered
514 Posts
I put in my order for my MCSC about two weeks ago and was told it should be here in mid-December. That was actually much faster than I'd have thought for the new convertible, but I'm not complaining :D :D

You should be able to do stripes yourself. That also gives you the option of going with a more interesting stripe pattern vs. what Mini provides. Check out the sponsor links (e.g. Cooper Flags ) for all kinds of stripe options.

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
e=MC2 said:
Thanks for the advice so far.

dansmini...why do you think the 16" wheels are a must? Is there any benefit other than looks and run flats (if you consider those a benefit)?

indimini...I think I agree with you...I don't know that I would use cruise very often so opting for something else might be the right idea. You are absolutely right about choosing color...that is EXTREMELY difficult. I think I've narrowed it down to either black w/ white or red w/ white. I'm kind of leaning towards red w/ white...however overdone it may be!!!

Keep it coming!!! Any other advice/ opinions are appreciated...while your at it, you might as well suggest a color!!!
I just don't like either of the 15" options at all, and for me, the wheels make the car. Put cruddy wheels on it, it looks terrible. But with nice wheels, it looks great! Just my opinion. Other than looks, you are getting a little more grip possibly due to a slightly larger footprint. But they are worth it for the looks alone, IMO.

·
Mini in Maine
556 Posts
I'll be the fly in the ointment so to speak...

e=MC2 said:
Hi...I'm new to the MINI thing! Need a little help speccing out my MC. All I've owned are Jeeps, so this is definitely going to be a change for me!

I am on a fairly tight budget (two girls and wife is stay-at-home mom)...here is what I'm trying to decide between:

Option 1:
Cold Weather Package
DSC
MFSW

Option 2:
Cold Weather Package
Sunroof

Cold Weather Package is a must as I live in Michigan. Also, I am open to suggestions...are there any other necessities for the Cooper?

Thanks for the help!!!
you're on a fairly tight budget and buying a MINI with a wife and 2 kids??? Don't get me wrong I'm in love with getting my mini(should be here in a few weeks or so :), but I had quite a few family cars to tote my brood around for 20+ years. So if I had to suffer so do you. Now get back out there and look at some family vans and sedans. ;-)

I went with very little xtras. Just the moonroof and sport seats. She'll be white on top, red in the middle and have small white ears. Standard tires and white shoes.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I got a 2002 Cooper with few options: DSC; alarm; sport seats; fogs; stripes. I've spent close to $2000 since on aftermarket stuff. With most of that going to new rims (16") and performance tires. The 15" wheels weren't horrible, I actually preferred the steering feel, but the 16" rims are nice looking and the grip is great. Of the options I got, only the seats are the must have. It's a personal thing though. Try the standard versus the sport and decide. The DSC and alarm were for piece of mind. My stripes were maybe an additional $45 for the installation. I've heard it's easy to do, so next time I'll give it a try. They're only $40 from Mini Mania. I didn't get the HK stereo because it wasn't available yet, but I'd get that too. You can save some money by not getting metallic paint.

·
kgouin
481 Posts
I think sport seats are a must. They are much more comfortable then the regular seats. Do you live in a wooded, dark area? If so, I would recommend the driving lights. I think my best option were the driving lights and the winter package. I work nights and have a 20 mile ride home from work and the ride is all woods and no street lights. The driving lights really help out! Go with the red and white! It's beautiful!!!! Of course, that is what I have! :D

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Well, for Michigan roads, and a tight budget, all you really need is Cold Weather Package and DSC. Everything else is pork.

Of course, it all amounts to what you'd like to spend. But for essentials, those are the two. Then add the "luxuries" to fit your budget from then on out. BTW, I bought at MotorCityMINI so if you have any questions about them. ;)

·
Patiently waiting...
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the advice!!!

fred3, I see that you live in Maine...are you concerned about not having DSC in the winter? What about the Cold Weather Package? I'm sure your winters are worse than ours!!! BTW, I am getting a mini-van as well as the MINI Cooper! Currently trying to get rid of my other cars first though.

Are the sport seats really that much more comfortable than the standard seats?

If given the choice between sunroof or DSC what would everyone choose?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Sunroof vs. DSC? Tough choice.

One you use frequently (at least I do) and it makes driving more fun. The other gets used less frequently but could save your life.

If you are getting a minivan too, I'd say go w/ the sunroof and when road conditions are really bad, use the minivan.

·
Patiently waiting...
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good point! I'd love to have the sunroof...plus I can't imagine leaving the DSC turned on much of the time anyway! I'm sure I'd be taking the van on those really bad days anyway, so that should work out just fine.

I think that I will go with the Cold Weather Package and the Sunroof. Anything more than that will make my payment higher than I would like. That being said, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be willing to take donations!!! ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'll "donate" you my 02 MC for the right price, lol. :D Still trying to sort out best way to sell her in advance of the new car. (Dealer trade is so easy but not most cost effective way to go.)

·
Patiently waiting...
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah...dealer trade is not such a good way to go...it is quite convenient, but you easily give up $1000 to $2000. How much is the "right price" anyway? If I can get rid of my other car by Dec we might be able to work something out! Might be worth it to me so I can get some more options!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts