MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
I'm considering to install a cold air intake filter to install on R56. The sound shold be more beautiful I mostly open my windows in tunnels and switch to sport mod I really enjoy it

but there is a problem I barely see videos or guides on non S R56 constructions. I don't know what to do there are no clips or tube hole in original pipes it's a bit weird isn't it
how comes the engine can control the air there without any sensor in the original pipes? however I made some pictures of my engine so that you can help me out where I can install the universal cold air filter or rpm filter

so since I have no censors or no tubes in the pipes of original filter I can literally install air intake cold filter anywhere where I want right or should I go for short ram intake filter?
By the way I have a question there is a sensor on every car so that the computer controls how much air gets into the engine why doesn't this engine such sensors ? or am I missing something there?

Air intake filter cold Aliexpress

2. Short RAM intake filter Aliexpress

The first option is I remove the original air filter and place the cold air pipe right there and I don't remove the original pipe so that the filter can get the fresh air from outside
I don't know if it's a good idea to remove the original air filter and place the universal cold air intake filter Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Hood

Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior

the second placement:
Black Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

I can let the original air filter there can remove this part
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive wheel system Gas

I barely find any guides on youtube or internet I don't wanna make a mistake there can you please help me

I upload other pictures maybe those might help to give me an useful instruction how to replace an universal filter.

Thanks in advance
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Personal luxury car
cold air filter
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part Gas

·
Registered
2013 Roaster, MCS, 6spd
23 Posts
Just finished mods to turbo R59 air intake, keeping OEM air box which gets cold air as is BUT hate how factory routed
air intake to air filter box. Modified also coolant reservoir hoses (now longer) as this part interferes with oil filter changes.
Do not like HOT air under hood that your modification will provide to your engine. There are NO sensors on my turbo OEM air intake pipe... your system should be same.
You will have to custom make brackets (two) to support that plastic tube that goes from firewall to cam cover/ Vanos system? case you want short air filter as shown on your pics.
Will take pics of my mods & post soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just finished mods to turbo R59 air intake, keeping OEM air box which gets cold air as is BUT hate how factory routed
air intake to air filter box. Modified also coolant reservoir hoses (now longer) as this part interferes with oil filter changes.
Do not like HOT air under hood that your modification will provide to your engine. There are NO sensors on my turbo OEM air intake pipe... your system should be same.
You will have to custom make brackets (two) to support that plastic tube that goes from firewall to cam cover/ Vanos system? case you want short air filter as shown on your pics.
Will take pics of my mods & post soon.
Hey

yeah I though about the hot air under hood cause the placement is very important right. if I go for the option one the installed air intake filter might get only hot air which is bad for the engine maybe I can put something around the filter so it won't be affected by hot air. how comes your engine also has no sensors in pipe. Yeah I'm quite interested in your air intake filter but your engine has turbo mine not it's a bit different right

thanks for replying

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey yeah I though about the hot air under hood cause the placement is very important right. if I go for the option one the installed air intake filter might get only hot air which is bad for the engine maybe I can put something around the filter so it won't be affected by hot air. how comes your engine also has no sensors in pipe. Yeah I'm quite interested in your air intake filter but your engine has turbo mine not it's a bit different right thanks for replying
Hello mate, if you want an idea of what to do you do what I’ve done for cold air intake, k and n and ddm works sell them but for stupid money and there’s no point or need to spend that much on a non turbo mini so what you can do is get a 60 degree pipe with a diameter of 65mm and then a 90 degree 63mm in diameter and but the 60 degree on the throttle body and 90 degree on top of that and then run a enclosed air intake which is the best choice because minis run hot and especially under the hood so I would suggest a enclosed one and then the Silencer pipe I would swap that for some tubing to get more fresh air and also noise 👍 own a Mini Cooper 2007 r56 1.6 120hp jcw kit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello mate, if you want an idea of what to do you do what I’ve done for cold air intake, k and n and ddm works sell them but for stupid money and there’s no point or need to spend that much on a non turbo mini so what you can do is get a 60 degree pipe with a diameter of 65mm and then a 90 degree 63mm in diameter and but the 60 degree on the throttle body and 90 degree on top of that and then run a enclosed air intake which is the best choice because minis run hot and especially under the hood so I would suggest a enclosed one and then the Silencer pipe I would swap that for some tubing to get more fresh air and also noise 👍 own a Mini Cooper 2007 r56 1.6 120hp jcw kit.
Hello fella,

Long story short... i am from Italy and i own my drivers license like 9 months now. In Italy the first year of driving your not allowed per law to drive cars over 55kw per tonn with a max of 70kw.
So i bought a Mini One R56 1.4 (75hp/55kw). Same engine same everything just a shorter Stroke then your 1.6 and lesser hp cause of a restricting tune from factory.
My plan is to Map it and get a clean +20hp (thats what the 1.4 non restricted engine has... 95hp, and i probalby get 5-10hp on top of that). In addition i wanted to install a cold Air Intake. What a cool thing i thought to myself... but of course in the mighty internet you literally cant find any mods for the mini r56 N/A cars... So i stumbled upon this page here and i thought, yes... building my own cold air intake is the only solution. So i searched a bit on google/yt and i stumbled across a youtube shorts of YOUR Mini with a fancy cool looking and sounding cold air intake. This is where i decided to build your cold air intake BUT... i have literally no idea what materials to use nor how long they should be or what filter to use.

Could you help me in providing some details of your build?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello fella,

Long story short... i am from Italy and i own my drivers license like 9 months now. In Italy the first year of driving your not allowed per law to drive cars over 55kw per tonn with a max of 70kw.
So i bought a Mini One R56 1.4 (75hp/55kw). Same engine same everything just a shorter Stroke then your 1.6 and lesser hp cause of a restricting tune from factory.
My plan is to Map it and get a clean +20hp (thats what the 1.4 non restricted engine has... 95hp, and i probalby get 5-10hp on top of that). In addition i wanted to install a cold Air Intake. What a cool thing i thought to myself... but of course in the mighty internet you literally cant find any mods for the mini r56 N/A cars... So i stumbled upon this page here and i thought, yes... building my own cold air intake is the only solution. So i searched a bit on google/yt and i stumbled across a youtube shorts of YOUR Mini with a fancy cool looking and sounding cold air intake. This is where i decided to build your cold air intake BUT... i have literally no idea what materials to use nor how long they should be or what filter to use.

Could you help me in providing some details of your build?
Ciao Bella,

Of course I can help you out man I also stumbled upon on the internet I found some interesting ideas I can share with you
you can get those things very cheap my suggestion is before you get into that stuff you decide for quality or for fun? if you wanna upgrade your exhaust, filter etc and get a better sound you should go for quality if you wanna try some new things and have fun then go cheaper like me. the original mini cooper air filter was expensive I went for cheaper the sound was still ok tho

All you need is

-An Universal cold air filter from Aliexpress
-A trash/waste basket plastic from your store or home, office (It's also a good guide how to make a heat cover )
- A termal tape for the pipe so that you also protect the pipe from the heat of your engine

Starting with the air filter there is a hole in the pipe you have to close it we don't need that you tape the hole. that's the first thing the second thing is you definitely need a heat cover for the tip of your filter cause the heat of the engine is really dangerous for the engine that needs a fresh cold air, not hot air! you can easily blow up your engine if you don't do this.
A termal tape heat cover tape protects the pipe not getting warm from the engine ! I wrapped the pipe with the termal tape cold air should not get affected by the heat!
and the last one I didn't make it is the waste basket cause I no longer use the cold air intake filter so I replaced it with the original one I didn't go for a basket or heat cover I don't know maybe I'll do it later :)

as I said if you are really eager to get a decent sound and an exhaust system etc you should build with quality! maybe you find a decent an original used mini cooper cold air filter from ebay
if you have questions ask me anytime I'm happy to help man. I can send you a mini video guide how my filter looks what you need is maybe it would be easier to understand I can show you on the video if you need my number we can chat on whatsapp etc or here you can send me the pictures of your engine etc :)

Have fun and good luck mate

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ciao Bella,

Of course I can help you out man I also stumbled upon on the internet I found some interesting ideas I can share with you
you can get those things very cheap my suggestion is before you get into that stuff you decide for quality or for fun? if you wanna upgrade your exhaust, filter etc and get a better sound you should go for quality if you wanna try some new things and have fun then go cheaper like me. the original mini cooper air filter was expensive I went for cheaper the sound was still ok tho

All you need is

-An Universal cold air filter from Aliexpress
-A trash/waste basket plastic from your store or home, office (It's also a good guide how to make a heat cover )
- A termal tape for the pipe so that you also protect the pipe from the heat of your engine

Starting with the air filter there is a hole in the pipe you have to close it we don't need that you tape the hole. that's the first thing the second thing is you definitely need a heat cover for the tip of your filter cause the heat of the engine is really dangerous for the engine that needs a fresh cold air, not hot air! you can easily blow up your engine if you don't do this.
A termal tape heat cover tape protects the pipe not getting warm from the engine ! I wrapped the pipe with the termal tape cold air should not get affected by the heat!
and the last one I didn't make it is the waste basket cause I no longer use the cold air intake filter so I replaced it with the original one I didn't go for a basket or heat cover I don't know maybe I'll do it later :)

as I said if you are really eager to get a decent sound and an exhaust system etc you should build with quality! maybe you find a decent an original used mini cooper cold air filter from ebay
if you have questions ask me anytime I'm happy to help man. I can send you a mini video guide how my filter looks what you need is maybe it would be easier to understand I can show you on the video if you need my number we can chat on whatsapp etc or here you can send me the pictures of your engine etc :)

Have fun and good luck mate
Hello mate,

Wow... i didn't think someone would reply so fast to that. Thank you very much for the inspiration and the details you provided mate.
I would love to chat with you on WhatsApp or whatever because i have some ideas i wanted to share and maybe you could help me providing your expertise.
I have also some questions regarding the engine bay of my mini. Could i send you some pictures?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello mate,

Wow... i didn't think someone would reply so fast to that. Thank you very much for the inspiration and the details you provided mate.
I would love to chat with you on WhatsApp or whatever because i have some ideas i wanted to share and maybe you could help me providing your expertise.
I have also some questions regarding the engine bay of my mini. Could i send you some pictures?
Yeah I was kinda lucky to see the email notification, Usually I don't check my second or even third email :) yeah man of course you can add me on whatsapp +90 505 130 42 00. Yeah I can send the picture of my universal air intake filter how I did and how I taped the pipe etc I can drop a voice record or video it's better than here :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts