MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have been attempting to change my front discs and pads today with little success. Passenger side took an age as the disk was rusted to the hub and I needed to replace that pesky wear sensor. My biggest problem however came with the Torx bolt holding on the brake disc on the Drivers side....it wouldn't budge and has now started to round out :(

Are there any clever ways of getting these torx bolts out (what about an impact driver)?

Can you guys recommend a better penetrative oil than WD-40 that's available in the UK?

If I do completely round it, what are my options then?

How would you "drill it out" without ruining the existing thread in the hub?

Thanks a million in advance!!

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
put 1 wheel bolt back in -then whack the disc with a big hammer away from the car until it cracks (you can also use a chisel ) then remove the pieces from the hub
This now leaves the screw standing proud and you simply grip with a pair of mole grips and undo
be careful swinging a big hammer !!

·
mini tech
65 Posts
hammer a bigger size in, or smash the disc off, or drill & tap, or replace the hub (bout £60 i think)
them grub screws are just a big pain!

·
Registered
190 Posts
easy! using a hammer and dot punch,make a sharp hit full on the edge of the screw,then tap it anti clock till it loosens. if this doesnt work just smash the disk off,chisel the screw flush,and ignore a new screw.

·
Registered
325 Posts
How difficult is it to crack a disc? I took a look at mine yesterday & that pesky torx bolt was jammed :(

Don't want to go whacking my discs if it''s gonna end in tears.

Might just get someone else to do it :biggrin:

MAFFA

·
Registered
8 Posts
hammer and chisel or drill

i work as a mechanic and i get this all the time usually use a big hammer and a chisel, chisel a groove in the grub screw and hammer in an anti clockwise direction until it becomes looser and it should come off, if not drill it out, its just there to place the disc, its not important in any way, just used to line up the wheel bolts but im sure u can line it up without a grub screw

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replys - very helpful.

I am not overly keen on smashing the disk to pieces, just in case I really do mess it up and have to limp to a garage to sort it out...

Trying to source a decent impact driver at the moment. If that doesn't work, I'll give the hammer and chisel idea a go.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Okay on another note....rather than go through all the grief would it not just be a few quid for a garage to do it for you :biggrin:

I'm vering towards that option myself :)

MAFFA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay on another note....rather than go through all the grief would it not just be a few quid for a garage to do it for you :biggrin:

I'm vering towards that option myself :)

MAFFA
I agreeas a mechanic I'd happily take your money off u LOL hammer n chisel/punch and a bit of brute force always works for me

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers for all your help guys -finally managed to get the bugger out.

It took about an hour of hitting very hard with a BIG hammer and a punch to make it move!

I've currently put the wheels back on with nice new discs and pads, but without the screw (haven't got a replacement just yet).

As many of you mentioned the screw itself doesn't have much purpose other than to hold the disc in place - is it ok to drive without it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts