MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Only Unbalanced
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My service advisor states the shimmy is the front rotors being warped.

I have a deposit on a MCSC for Feb, so I don't want to throw a lot of bucks at this car, but the shimmy, ah, sucks. I can't drive 6 months like this.

Quetion is, being moderately mechanical, can I change the rotors myself?

I don't know what is involved, at all. Any input?

TIA
David
DUCTTAPE

·
Anyone seen MP lately???
1,110 Posts
DUCTTAPE said:
My service advisor states the shimmy is the front rotors being warped.

I have a deposit on a MCSC for Feb, so I don't want to throw a lot of bucks at this car, but the shimmy, ah, sucks. I can't drive 6 months like this.

Quetion is, being moderately mechanical, can I change the rotors myself?

I don't know what is involved, at all. Any input?

TIA
David
DUCTTAPE
David,
Changing the rotors should not take you more than two hours, at most. I have changed the pads on all four wheels and changed the front rotors. Here is the link that I used when I did mine. Here is the CLIFF NOTES VERSION:
  • loosen wheel lugs and chuck the rear wheels
  • jack MINI up and use jack stands to support the front end
  • remove front wheels
  • remove retaining spring
  • remove 7mm dust covers, they are on the back side of the caliper
  • remove these bolts, two for each wheel
  • swing the caliper up out of the way, don't let it hang
  • remove the bolts for the pad carrier, two for each wheel
  • remove retaining screw, carefull, u don't want to strip the head of the torx screw, this screw may be tight,rusted in, otherwise hard to get out. Use some type of pentrating oil and come back in 5 minutes
  • remove the old rotor and put the new one on
  • reassemble in reverse order.
The OEM pads or ones real close can be ordered here. I have not dealt with them, but the prices seem to be reasonable, since you are not looking to put performance pad and rotors on.

Follow these instructions on how to bed/break in the rotors and pad if you decied to go that route. This the procedure that I used to bed in the pads & rotors.

Also, with a name like DUCTTAPE, come on. Doing brake work on the MINI is very simple, I had never attempted to brake work before and now I will be the only one replacing the rotors and or pads on my MINI. I have a hard time determining which end of a screwdriver to use to hammer a nail in with....:D ;) It is that easy. Just take your time, double/triple check your work and for the instructions out lined above :green:

·
racing is in my blood
203 Posts
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A WARPED BRAKE DISC

Honestly, until about a month ago i had used the term ' warped brake disc' all the time. not any more.

it is impossible for a brake disc to warp. I will have a search and find the definitive reasons as i can't remember them off the top of my head.

give me 10mins...!!!

·
UberGeek
850 Posts
tuscan_thunder said:
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A WARPED BRAKE DISC

Honestly, until about a month ago i had used the term ' warped brake disc' all the time. not any more.

it is impossible for a brake disc to warp. I will have a search and find the definitive reasons as i can't remember them off the top of my head.

give me 10mins...!!!
That may be, but the existing rotors will need work, or replacing.

I swapped to EBC 'turbo' (bad name) rotors and EBC green stuff pads, all round. Best mod I did to my car.

-Lee

·
heh...lame
2,422 Posts
Are you still on stock S-Lites? I was and I had a pretty lame shimmy. They jacked up the car and spun the wheels...HUGE flat spots from Boston potholes. I credit the flat spots to 17" wheels plus runflats. I ditched them and got 16" with nonrunflats...problem solved!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
DUCTTAPE
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing