MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've got a couple of questions that I'd appreciate some advice about

My MC is almost 6 months old now. I've noticed that when trying to change into first or reverse that sometimes it seems to be 'blocked' and I have to depress the clutch before it will allow me to engage these gears. As this only happens intermitently, should I get it checked out or is it not worth bothering about? The transmission is the Rover box.

Also, is it ok to rev to around 6000 rpm in first? The reason I ask is that at only 4500 rpm in first the engine seems so loud (almost screaming) - am I in danger of damaging it? Also, the car seems quite slow when taking off in first, almost as if there's a bit of resistance there. Am I expecting too much from the car?

Thanks for your help!
:confused:

·
Registered
765 Posts
The Rover gearbox can be a bit variable in change quality. Some are very good, others less so_One thing to remember is that like all other cars there is no synchromesh on reverse so to get a clean change through the gate you need to disengage the forward gear and put it in neutral for a second, let the clutch out, then depress the clutch again and engage reverse.This should ensure a crunch free change.

There is no problem with letting the engine rev to 6000 rpm although there will be an increase in mechanical noise. In fact, you can take it up to 6750 with no problems. There is a built in rev limiter to cut the engine if you are revving too high and causing possible damage.

The Cooper doesn't really get going until after 4500 revs so to get a quick take off don't be afraid to give it some revs at take off and as you feed in the clutch squeeze down on the accellerator to counter for the normal drop in revs as the clutch takes up the load.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts