MINI Cooper Forum banner

Help with Cats

768 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  roland2003
OK so i was looking under my car today because i went to go measure my cats because i am going to be making my self some test pipes hopfully. Any way all i found was the two bolts after the cats... how does it disconnect from the header. surley it is not just one unit. I saw the steel mesh up towards the bottom of the header does it hold on around there like a coupler or does it disconnect in another spot. Any one know?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
CNred said:
OK so i was looking under my car today because i went to go measure my cats because i am going to be making my self some test pipes hopfully. Any way all i found was the two bolts after the cats... how does it disconnect from the header. surley it is not just one unit. I saw the steel mesh up towards the bottom of the header does it hold on around there like a coupler or does it disconnect in another spot. Any one know?
It's one piece. Sorry
How mad do you think the dealership would be if..... I went an inch or two back in front of the cat chopped that welded a flange so i had one on each side of the Cat, then took the cat out and replaced that with a straight pipe. So that way i could interchange between cat and test pipe when need for smog and etc. ?
CNred said:
How mad do you think the dealership would be if..... I went an inch or two back in front of the cat chopped that welded a flange so i had one on each side of the Cat, then took the cat out and replaced that with a straight pipe. So that way i could interchange between cat and test pipe when need for smog and etc. ?
If they caught you?? ;)
Just spend a grand and get something like this :eek: :D
Silly me clicking into this looking for felines..... :rolleyes:
moi too.......

Hint: unless you are gonna be driving it exclusively off the street......you risk a HUGE fine if you mess with that there catalytic converter..........
what if i put a high flow cat?
CNred said:
what if i put a high flow cat?

Didn't want to be too inquisitive but pro has a definite point.
It's been stated a couple of times that you will lose bottom end power with a straight pipe. So unless you're running consistent high rpm track time you'll end up with a crappier driving car.
A 100 or 150 cell count cat seems to be a good solution.

BTW the straight pipe will cause the after cat 02 sensor to trip a fault and may, I'm really not sure, throw you into open loop mode. Your mileage will suck big time.
If you disconnect the second sensor at the plug all will be fine. Closed loop still works perfectly. All you get is P0036 ' Post O2 sensor heater circuit not working'
Or words to that effect.
Regards Roland GT Tuning
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.