MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Noob mini owner here looking for some help with my new to me 2012 (R56?) base Cooper (non-S). My mini is stock everything with the 15" r81 holies and 175/60R15 A/S Firestones. I need winter wheels and tires for southern Ontario (Canada) driving and found an excellent deal on some new 15" alloys with specs of 15x6.5J 35et - 4x100 - and I'm planning to run these with 195/60R15 winter tires. However, after more research (using willtheyfit.com etc.) I'm concerned about the offset of these new alloys and fender/wheel rub on car.

Most posts on here relate to the Cooper S with 16" and bigger wheels, so has anyone run a similar set up as this without any issues on their non-S Cooper or know if they will fit without issue?

Is there anything I should be worried about by running this set up on my Mini for winter?

If this has been covered in another thread elsewhere can you please link me it, I have been unable to find anything else.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
87 Posts
ur OEM wheels are 5.5Jx15 ET45 so if memory serves the new wheels will be made closer to the brake caliper with the smaller offset & also nearer the suspension with the wider rim

6.5Jx16 ET48
7Jx17 ET48

so it appears the offset goes the other way in order to fit wider rims

as for clearance with the new size tyre on then you should not have a problem even on a stock set of 15's - i have run for 2 summers on a set of R81's in white with that exact tyre size fitted for comfort over the 17" R121's that came stock with my car ( runflats too so no give in em & my broken leg at the time hated the harsh ride lol ).

may be worth a looksy on ebay or such for a used set of OEM wheels & then bung the new tyres on them instead of going aftermarket :)

---edit---

not had clearance issues on full lock or any troubles with the wider tyre on the less wide stock 15" rim barring the expected less sharp handling due to more tyre sidewall flex compared with the stock 17's for the 1st drive or 2, then i quickly adapt the driving style to account for this.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the detailed reply. When I plugged the OEM specs and aftermarket specs I posted above (15x6.5j 35et - 195/60 R15) into the wheel/tire comparison sites, it says with the 35et offset, it will push the rim outwards towards the fender 23mm and the tires out 20mm compared to the stock holies. It only pushes the rim in towards the brakes by 3mm.

Looking at my stock set up it "looks" like there is plenty of clearance room in the wells to widen the stance by 1" on each corner, but I'm not very confident in my assessment. I've seen many set ups online with really wide stances but I haven't been able to figure out the max threshold you can push the wheels out so they don't scuff/rub the wells and fenders on stock suspension.

OEM wheels would be preferable, but checking eBay it appears to cost more to ship them to Canada than they're worth, so not a viable option unfortunately. I also got a steal on the aftermarket alloys brand new for $35 per corner, so I'd like to keep them (Winter steelies here would be about $80 per corner for reference).

I will take a look at the wider tires when the all seasons wear out and possibly go 185 or 195 like you have on the stock holies for summer.

Also, I really like the look of your mini in that neutral scheme and side stripe, really sharp!

I'd appreciate any other info regarding wheels as well. Even if you run aftermarket 16" or 17" wheels it would help provide further reference points in terms of acceptable widths/offset etc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
mmm, must have got my offset directions mixed up, sorry about that.

i know stock ET45 offset causes no troubles with clearance but if the ET35 moves the wheel outwards then i would not like to guess at the clearances on a larger tyre too ( but given your location, is there not a metal shop or such that may be able to skim off a little from the hub section of the wheels to make them a little more standard offset - say 10-20mm skim or have you already looked at that & discounted it due to high costs :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for the suggestions. I didn't think about shaving the hubs but I don't think there's enough metal there to do so anyways, plus the hassle of finding a place to do it.

I guess my options right now are to roll the dice and fit them with winter tires and hope they clear ok when I eventually switch or spend more money and find some OEMs wheels and get it right the first time...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts