MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all on the forum. Just looking for a little advice and trying to make sense of a situation. I’ve scoured the web relatively far and can’t seem to find any useful information. My girlfriend’s 03 base model convertible shuts off whenever reverse is engaged. By shuts off I mean that the engine dies as does the A/C and headlights. This is a completely new problem as of today and I can’t make sense of it, I’ve read of a reverse switch that could possibly be the culprit but I don’t want to jump to conclusions. She was able to push the car out of the parking spot and make it home and upon her arrival I noticed the reverse bulb on the passenger’s side was loose so I’m thinking simple fix. After replacing the aforementioned bulb the problem persist, just doesn’t seem like it could be the reverse switch with the bulb coming out of place at what I’m assuming is the same time....way too coincidental if so. Any help is greatly appreciated.i have a video of what’s happening but can’t figure out how to post it.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
only way forward is diagnostic plug in as its a mk1 can use inpa on it access gearbox and read the ecu, it will deffo have codes to read, as suspect there is a deeper problem with auto box and by it switching it all off is trying to protect it self,, auto tend to do this with car ecu as so much more damage or could be dangerous for it to fail on the move as such,, the reversing light is controlled by a switch on gearbox but is also directed to body control module,, maybe this is where the connection on it really is or maybe its a gear box fault the body control module is dealing with as such, eitherway only way forward is a diagnostics scan that cover these ecu's

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the response. I should have clarified in my OP but the car is a 5spd, I can toggle into reverse freely without the car running and the car has never had any problems going into gear so I’m doubtful that the gearbox itself is the culprit although as with anything it’s possible I guess.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Thank you for the response. I should have clarified in my OP but the car is a 5spd, I can toggle into reverse freely without the car running and the car has never had any problems going into gear so I’m doubtful that the gearbox itself is the culprit although as with anything it’s possible I guess.
sorry i thought you were talking about auto gearbox, so no dont think reversing light bulb has any impact on stopping the engine, as its a 5 speed gearbox its possible that something has gone south with the bearings that hold the reverse and forward gears as to lock up gear box maybe that would just stop the engine.. would drop the oil out of gearbox first job in a clean container then leave it to settle for a hour or two then have a look in the bottom see if any lumps of metal in it which would be a clear reading of gearbox dead, the 5 speed in the pre 54 plate cars were really bad for killing them selves, the later 5 speed were a little better, the 6 speed was the best not saying indestructible as nothing is but so much better,, bmw never helped this by saying gearbox oil is life of car so dont change the oil,, really stupid thing to do,,, or as a future money making plan maybe it was really clever for the share holders.. at the future owners expense

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn’t only stop the motor but all other dash lights, ac, headlights go out too. Really seems electrical because it’s happening before the shift lever has even engaged the gear. May swap the tranny fluid though because it couldn’t hurt anything.

·
cristo
2,813 Posts
I would check that the shift bracket isn’t
contacting something like a nearby frayed
harness, connector or wire. Take a look
at the cables and anything else that moves
when you have someone throw the shifter
into reverse.
You may have to take the battery box and/or
ecu box out to see things clearly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would check that the shift bracket isn’t
contacting something like a nearby frayed
harness, connector or wire. Take a look
at the cables and anything else that moves
when you have someone throw the shifter
into reverse.
You may have to take the battery box and/or
ecu box out to see things clearly.
Thank you, I’m thinking the shifter itself may be shorting out a wire after reading this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts