MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This is my first post as I have just found this place - cool. Finally somewhere to get some therapy!

I have ordered a "S" which is expected in August, and the dealer is starting to pressure me for specs. I have questions about the following.

17"wheels
Do they make the ride overly firm? Do they turn in better? Are they as progressive as the smaller wheels?

Xenon headlights
What are the standard ones like? Is the xenon noticably better?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
swamos said:
Hi All,

This is my first post as I have just found this place - cool. Finally somewhere to get some therapy!

I have ordered a "S" which is expected in August, and the dealer is starting to pressure me for specs. I have questions about the following.

17"wheels
Do they make the ride overly firm? Do they turn in better? Are they as progressive as the smaller wheels?

Xenon headlights
What are the standard ones like? Is the xenon noticably better?

Thanks!
Welcome, another Brisbane member......:) August delivery. Well done.

All I can say is the xenon gas is about twice as bright as Halogen......

Loads of members are driving around on 17" S-spokes, and i'm sure they will reply shortly. You could try a search, the search engine here is excellent. Have you driven the BRG Cooper at Brisbane BMW. It has SS+ but only on 16" Rims ?.

cheers.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
time for test drive

Basil

Drop in to your dealer and take it a test drive. They now have 17" rims on both cars. The BRG has S spoke rims and some one has hit a gutter with them. The tire provided no protection at all.:( The yellow MINI has the after market wheels on it for the great price of $4600 plus fitting.

Snoopy

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gents from Brisvegas!

I haven't driven the cars at Brisbane BMW because ours is ordered from the Bruce Lynton on the Coast. They had the best delivery time when we ordered ours in early December.

The demo I drove down there last weekend had the cooper s 16" on them. Unfortunately it was pouring with rain, and I was in unfamiliar territory, so I didn't really learn much about the car. We came away only knowing that it was very refined, but lacking a little low down torque. The handling seemed alright, but I didn't really get to attack any corners. It also seemed to ride quite well, although pothole made a lot more of a bang than we were expecting.

I'm just a little bit nervous about how the ride will be effected by the 17"s on sports suspension. I am also still in the dark regarding the lighting dilema (Sorry :D ). If they cost $1100 as an option, how much would it cost to replace them?

Has anyone had any luck getting a little price support on the options, or is it straight retail?

Thanks again,

·
Registered
448 Posts
The beswt educated guess on the cost of the xenon lights is that the option price will be the approximate cost of replacing *one* headlamp in the event of incident or accident. So figure $1100 if you smash one, $2200 if both go.:confused:

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: time for test drive

snoopy said:
Basil

Drop in to your dealer and take it a test drive. They now have 17" rims on both cars. The BRG has S spoke rims and some one has hit a gutter with them. The tire provided no protection at all.:( The yellow MINI has the after market wheels on it for the great price of $4600 plus fitting.

Snoopy
Thanks snoopy, no wonder there were no MINI's in their forecourt this morning !! (Sunday 10th). No, the tyre protectors built into the tyre are always useless :rolleyes:

I'll check em out though.......thanks once again :)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
swamos said:
Gents from Brisvegas!.......

..........I'm just a little bit nervous about how the ride will be effected by the 17"s on sports suspension. I am also still in the dark regarding the lighting dilema (Sorry :D ). If they cost $1100 as an option, how much would it cost to replace them?

Has anyone had any luck getting a little price support on the options, or is it straight retail?

Thanks again,
Well swamos, the 16"s with SS+ drove over potholes like a go kart would, personally it doesn't bother me, as the positive side to this is in the overall handling. On a BIG pothole the car was badly, and I mean BADLY unsettled. Some people I know, would not accept this.

As for the headlights.........make sure you have comprehensive insurance.......:)

I'm getting the Xenon's purely from a safety aspect. But im sure the halogens would be pretty good.

I told my Dealer I'd probably be paying cash for the car and how about a discount. Apparently the delivery charge has gone up to over $2000AU, but mine will be staying at $1650. That is going to be my discount. :rolleyes:

Maybe your dealer will be more favourable.

cheers

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
If you're worried about a rock chipping your Xenon headlight, you could apply the 3M Invisible Bra material. StonGard has a listing for the MINI Cooper and Cooper S. Cost is $49.95USD plus shipping.

Chip H.

BTW, searching on Google for this brought up some, how shall I say, interesting hits.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The Xenon HID gas bulbs and ballast are supposed to easily last the life of the car. Even of you crack the lens or reflector, it probably wouldn't trash the whole unit. The Xenon gas bulb can still be replaced, but more expensive, and if the ballast goes, try to find a set of halogens at the wreckers.

I'd bet almost everyone who dosen't wipe out the whole front end in a collision, will never have a problem with a Xenon going out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts