MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally bought some stripes for my cooper and im not to sure how to install them or where they should sit. does any one have some close up pics of their hood so i can see where you placed them and does any one know any tricks to installing them?

·
No more MINI
126 Posts
Instructions for Mini Cooper/Cooper S Bonnet Stripes

I have purchased my stripes from MightyStripes and here are the instructions for installing them...

1. Remove all existing wax and debris from the area of application iwth a soft terry cloth and rubbing Alcohol. Allow to dry.

2. Install these stripes in the shade, avoiding excessive heat and cold. Align bonnet stripes so that the bonnet stripes are about 1/4 inch from the washer jets on the outside and should be symmetrical. Note: wrap a squeege in a soft cloth to avoid SCRATCHING.

3. The distance from the MINI Logo to the inside edge of the stripes on the buttom should be equal. In addition, take a step back and eye it up. If it doesnt look right.. make subtle adjustments. Use a mild adhesive 3M Masking tape as the stripes may tear if you use a strong hold tape. Tape the stripes in place about halfway down the bonnet, once on each side. You will use a hinge method of application to apply the decal, in other words, one half at a time.

4. Peel the BACKING FROM THE STRIPE (if you do not, the stripe can stretch) at the top half of the bonnet, then cut off the top half of the backing near the tape. Squeege from the center of the bonnet to the top of the bonnet in short, firm, even pressured strokes ensuring all air bubbles have been removed. At the top edge trim away excess material using your exacto knife. Ensure the stripe wraps around under the bonnet and squeegee it in place for a clean look (you may need to open the bonnet to do this.) Avoid touching the adhesive surface.

5. Now GENTLY remove the tape from the stripes and squeegee in the same fashion down towards the bottom of the bonnet, again, ensuring all air bubbles have been removed. Squeegee the stripes into the top of the grill and cut it to fit where the grill meets the bonnet. If you make a mistake or you want to remove the stripes completely, use a hot air dryer to loosen the adhesive and gently pull back the stripe.

6. Repeat this procedure for the passenger side. Inspect the stripes the next day to be sure you have all the air from under the stripes. If you find any bubbles, use a pin to pop it, then squeegee the area flat and apply heat if necessary.

Note: For the cooper S model, follow the same instructions, only measure 1/2" from both washer jets and the intake vent to the inside of each stripe.

It is not recommended to wax over the decal, but is ok to wash the decal with automotive car wash as you would the rest of your vehicle.

Let me know if you find any problems, as far as i know, this is the easiest way.

Here are my car before and after I have applied them

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
both cars look great and thats for the detailed instructions... i tell you how the results come out/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
CNred
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing