MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Uranus is composed of gas
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning when I started my car to head off to work I noticed that the poor little thing sounded terrible: like the engine was under water or something. The yellow triangle light came on as well as the check engine soon light. I turned off the car, waited a minute, then restarted it. The yellow triangle light went out, but the check engine soon light is still on. The car sounds normal and I drove it to work (25 miles).

I'm going to take the car into the dealer after work today, but will not have a chance to look through my manual to find out what the yellow triangle is supposed to indicate. I'd very much appreciate it if someone could let me know what the yellow triangle means so that I don't sound like a complete twit when I drop the car off for service.

My car has only 13,800 miles on it and (thank god!) is still fully under warranty. Hopefully, it won't poop out on me on the way to the dealer (56 miles!). :(

Thanks (in anticipation) for the help.

·
Uranus is composed of gas
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's an update:

I tried to drive my car to the dealer. I made it about 2 blocks when the car started sputtering something terrible. I somehow managed to lurch into a gas station and called Mini/BMW Roadside "Assistance." After waiting 4 hours and 10 minutes (!!!!!!!!!!!!!), a tow truck showed up and we got the car to the dealer.

The dealer tells me that a rat or some other critter has chewed through the ignition wiring causing the car to sputter and the error lights to come on and this is not covered under the 50,000 mile warranty. The good news is that the fix will be about $175, which isn't a huge cost, but enough to anger me a little (especially after waiting 4 hours and 10 minutes [!!!!!!!!!!!] for a tow truck).

So, the lesson learned here is to 1) watch out for rodents with sharp teeth and 2) never be in any kind of rush when you rely on Mini/BMW Roadside "Assistance" because believe me, they certainly aren't!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts