MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked up my 03 MCS yesterday and thought id join this amazing site...its my first mini and im not to clued up on cars tbh...
is there any major issues i should look out for? i take it the loud whining noise is the superchrger? should you still here this when u turn off the ignition?

love the car and hopefully i will get some pics up soon. :D:D

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Welcome to MINI 2
Supercharger wine is addictive BUT it is only there when the engine is running and under acceleration.

If you have a loud wine when stationary then there are number of possibilities. If you have a loud wine also when the ignition is off then the most likely fault is the power steering pump.

I would take it back to where you got it from and have it investigated - there are lots of threads on here about power steering pump failure / power steering pump fan wine etc.

Hope you get it sorted.

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Welcome to MINI2 :D And as Snowie said, although the whine when the ignition is off may be the radiator fan?
Yep it could also be this. But it should not wine it should be a relativley smooth fan running noise and it t shoud be easy to see if the rad fan is running.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers guys....it does sound like something has been running and is slowing down as soon as i turn my ignition off...i will check it out..

are there anymore problems i should look for??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey I've got an 05 cooper convertible and mine makes a noise when you turn it off like a whine but only last 2 seconds, I hve told this is normal though and it hasn't troubled me so I tend not to worry about it too much! I hope it's not a problem anyway!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts