MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I’ve just bought a mini convertible. It’s a 2011. I didn’t realise they stopped making a tow bar for the convertible. I would appreciate any advice on fitting one. Would an old convertible one fit or a newer hatchback one? I don’t mind tweeking it to make it fit. I am going to be towing an old Thomson mini glen. I’ll get some pics up of both of them soon.

Tia.
Simon.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Hi all. I’ve just bought a mini convertible. It’s a 2011. I didn’t realise they stopped making a tow bar for the convertible. I would appreciate any advice on fitting one. Would an old convertible one fit or a newer hatchback one? I don’t mind tweeking it to make it fit. I am going to be towing an old Thomson mini glen. I’ll get some pics up of both of them soon.

Tia.
Simon.
you need to ensure that the tow bar you have chosen complies with EU regulations for its construction so that the part itself, just like other car parts, is road legal and safe. this is a grey area when fitting any towbar that is not type approved for that car it goes on, chances are you would be fine until if had any form or accident while towing or got a road side vosa check as they do a lot on caravans and anything being towed, they should/will check the towbar for type approval numbers and correct fitment, also as part of mot now the tow bar and electrics are covered for mot checks,
as for tweaking it hmmm i would guess if the tweaking was only based on changing the plastics a bit on tow car the tow bar would still be as per designed so technically on that level would be ok, but where it could fall its not designed for that vehicle and the above applies,, its nut back in the 80s 90s i made loads of tow bars for work hacks and never had one fail, but thats not legal anymore

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I’m thinking of getting the swan neck type. Detachable. Just hoping I can get a one to bolt straight on. If not I will adapt it to fit. It won’t be getting much use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts