MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm planning to upgrade my head light clubman. my head light is not the up-grade version.
does anyone had any experience on this? it is all i need to install? is it correct bulb size? what kit is everyone recommanding?

thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
I dont think its a straight forward upgrade. The Minis have a host of computer monitored items, so you will need to ensure the HID kit you fit draws the excatly same amount of power (55w I think) as the standard bulbs or the dreaded (!) warning light will come on (most HIDs are 35w I think). You can also get HID kits which are 'filtered' to prevent warning lights comming on but I have never tried these on a mini but have fitted these before on other new cars which had problems with computer warnings.

Also with no auto leveling and headlamp wahser they may be classified as illegal?

Kimmy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in this case, i think i'm too late to ask the dealer to change the light back to bi-xeonx.

had anyone tried to fit HID on none-upgrade light who can give me more advice pleasE?

thanks

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
hi mate. I have a HID upgrade on my Cooper. Very easy job indeed, as long as you get a kit that has the module that turns the 'bulb out' light off in the car. Also, make sure you get a bi-xenon kit.

and without aute leveling/washers they are indeed illegal.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks adam,

somehow, i could not find carbon crazy as a member in search.

do you have their e-mail?

thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Mingkei,

I had a set of HID's fitted to my last car (not Mini) that had normal halogen projector lens. I bought quite a decent kit, not cheap kits from asia.

Anyway, I found that the light output was just ever so slightly better than the standard halogens and because the halogens lens are not designed for the HID, the lights dazzled oncoming cars.
I also found that the light output is nowhere near as clear and white as factory fitted xenons.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi turbosx200,

thanks for your advice. i was trying to fit HID to mini, only because i do the same for all my car for the past 3 cars. but actually you do make sense, the hologen lamp is not projector lamp, may not get the same result as good as.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts