MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - has anyone else realised you can change the time format on the clock from 24hr (mine was defaulted to this) to 12 hr?

Just press both buttons simultaneously for a couple of seconds and hey presto!

Feel free to slap me if this has been known about for months! (it's not mentioned in the manual though)

I've also noticed a clock icon on my MD display - surely this means there's a clock function built into it somewhere too?..and if that's the case, then maybe it has the elusive track display too?

·
Registered
464 Posts
If there is a clock on the MD it is unknown as far as Im aware, I've tried to get as much info on the MD player as I've ordered one with my cooper due next month. As for the text In our dreams... how BMW managed to produce the first non text MD player I will never know!

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's why I'm so intrigued about this clock Icon. If they haven't said in the manual that the 12 hr clock function exists, it seems logical to me that they might not know if the MD unit has a text function.

We know that the unit can display text as it gives the RDS station names - If only I knew who the manufacturers of the MD were I'd e-mail them direct and see if there was some kind of hack you could use to reactivate the dormant text..?

Anyone know who makes the MD units?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have looked on the net, and couldn't find anything. Maybe contact a dealer? I personally find it suprising the MD player has no text decoding device as even the cheapest potables and 3rd party efforts support it so it can't be expensive to implement...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Hi guys

This is looking good for MD. The OEM of the MD head unit i think is Alpine (did you know over 60% of Alpine business is for the OEM market). Also it does not suprise me that a clock fuction is in the head unit as The Iceman referred to the fact that BMW wanted to get rid of the roof mounted clock and use the one in the radios.

Snoopy

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
snoopy said:
Hi guys

This is looking good for MD. The OEM of the MD head unit i think is Alpine (did you know over 60% of Alpine business is for the OEM market). Also it does not suprise me that a clock fuction is in the head unit as The Iceman referred to the fact that BMW wanted to get rid of the roof mounted clock and use the one in the radios.

Snoopy
My single slot CD is definitely Alpine, it says so on the sticker underneath!

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
The standard wave radio was Phillips I think. Not that it seems all the relevant...

Dom

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've checked out the Alpine web site, but no joy (wasn't really expecting them to have any info on OEM gear)It would be nice to find some more info but as of yet nothing....

The one thing that has made me happy is that my MD player I've ordered with my cooper is a make as good as Alpine (well in theory)

By finding out that Alpine make the head units does this mean alpine stuff will be compatible, CD changers etc?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The Apline MD have a longer TOC read time than Sony MD models. So if any one can confirm the TOC read time we might to say it is Alpine.

The good old can i plug brand X into Brand Y changer. Well the IC that contols the bus protcol hold the key. I am myseld still trying to get to the bottom of this issue. But for the time being you can buy converter boxes that allow you to plug in sony changers. In fact BMW even have a part number for them.

Snoopy

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
well i have pressed various buttons and combinations, cant even get the clock symbol on the MD???
where is it??

The TOC time does seem a long while but the playback quality is good

Also, I was told taht it wasnt LP compatable however I have played a LP recording with no problems? strange......

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ELISEBOY said:
well i have pressed various buttons and combinations, cant even get the clock symbol on the MD???
where is it??
Mine is in the same section of the display as the 'Random' indicator - there's also a small telephone icon there too which is presumably activated when you get the hands free kit installed?

I don't know whether or not either of these icons light up..but why would they fit a stereo that has them if they're completeley redundant? :confused:

·
Registered
464 Posts
There is a chance that Alpine or whoever manufacturers the Head Units has used a generic display panel which enable the company to use the same panel for different models, this may explain its inability to display text as the display used for the MD player may also be used in a CD or tape deck. this is common in electronics as it greatly reduces costs. As for the clock icon and the telephone icon it may be still possible that these could still be implemented as all that is probably required is an extra onboard chip to be added as with all electronic devices it is again very common for different models of a product to share parts, thus meaining that all models may have the same capabilites but have had them either disabled or in the case of chips etc not fitted.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ScottyHP said:
There is a chance that Alpine or whoever manufacturers the Head Units has used a generic display panel which enable the company to use the same panel for different models...
I was thinking along the same lines, but I was in a Loan MINI ONE the other day that had the standard tape deck and the display panel is different (as is the button layout). It makes sense that they use a generic display to reduce costs, but they don't appear to have done this..

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Dogger said:

I was thinking along the same lines, but I was in a Loan MINI ONE the other day that had the standard tape deck and the display panel is different (as is the button layout). It makes sense that they use a generic display to reduce costs, but they don't appear to have done this..
Although, if you look at the display of the CD Boost, you can see a dolby symbol which is not used with CDs only tapes... The plot thickens..

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The MD has the dolby symbol too...although I've never seen it light up...maybe Kylie is loud enough not to need it?..;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Some useful stuff for you all.

The display is the same as BMW use - who do use the clock (look in a 3 series). The FLAG is on MINI but was never used - it will almost certainly be in there at a later date.

The clock - well the time is held in the instrument pack, but can pass this to anyone, so if a new display comes along, or even an anlogue clock - it is no problem.

MD - oh the joy of text!! Text was originally designed, but due to many lagal issues, it was removed (driver distraction) BMW take this stance with all Original Equipment Displays. NO CHANCE to turn it on.

Alpine do make the CD and MD units. Their web site will never give this kind of info.

SIEMENS / VDO (who used to be Philips) make the 2 cassette units.

I think that is all for now

·
Registered
464 Posts
nice one Big Boom, just as I thought. Still a shame about the text on the MD player, supose I can see the logic.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't seem to have crashed my Mercedes over the last three years with my text equiped Sony MD head unit. If the lack of text is a saftey issue, how can you justify the two SatNav systems. Surely with these you are going to have to read a map on a display whilst driving. :mad: :mad:

I say "Bring back MD text now" :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
MD - oh the joy of text!! Text was originally designed, but due to many lagal issues, it was removed (driver distraction) BMW take this stance with all Original Equipment Displays. NO CHANCE to turn it on.
Good point boombox69,But how does Sat nav come in to this line of thinking. I think it would be more distracting to the drive than MD or CD text.

The rule makes down here have made it illegal to have a display in front of the driver while the car is moving. The only time the driver is permitted to see a display is while the car is parked. This does not apply to OEM displays. But aftermarket systems are out. The legal people are staring to get in on the act and the people fitting aftermarket systems my find themselves in trouble. Also the lawyers are looking at the OEM systems, as they have deeper pockets.

After all is said and done I stll would like me MD text.
:(

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My MINI me and me said:
I say "Bring back MD text now" :mad: :mad: :mad:
Ditto!! Surely when you're looking at the track numbers and trying to work out whether track 1 is Kylie or Steps (ahem)..that's more distracting than a quick glance to see if the display says 'can't get you out of my head' or 'tragedy'?..:confused:

I don't buy this explanation..I reckon they just ran out of cash and took a cheaper head unit?..:(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts