MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we have been reading in the press over recent weeks, the government is looking to introduce road pricing. (Variable according to area & time etc)
This system wil be gps based so they will know exactly how far every car has travelled.
In some ways this could be good - providing road tax is abolished. (& caravans have a 400% surcharge :D )
BUT
a GPS system that monitors how far you have travelled can also tell your speed (instant or average :( )
What is the bet that they have a plan to use this to trap millions more motorists

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
This country is getting more and more restrictive :( It REALLY sucks :mad:

I won't be hanging around forever if it carries on like this, I'll clear off to somewhere a lot better, with more freedom.

Sometimes this country sucks, I love it for it's past and it's history but that's all. Not for what it has become.

England is the wimpy kid at school.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Being penalised for driving is getting ridiculous.

The UK is a country with a proud history of driving, and with car enthusiasts unmatched by any other country. Stop taxing me you desk-bound paper-jockey liberals!

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
This is all political mumbo jumbo.
Image the cost to implement this :rolleyes:
It'll never happen ;)

·
Sotherner up north
1,221 Posts
Alternitivly the powers that be will link their shiny GPS tracking system to a road speed datadbas, which will not allow you to speed :eek: despite all the studies to date showing that this mearly encourages other bad driving habbits (tailgating etc.)

And how long after introduction till chip hacks are available that disable or spoof this system, so you can "prove" your car was sat on the drive at home, not taring down the motorway at 130?

·
That's a Gamble
110 Posts
It just doesn't feel right

Is it me? Can anyone really say they feel like they live in one of the wealthiest countries on the planet, we just seem to get squeezed at every twist & turn and now it's going to be literal!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I dont understand why the government feels it can inflict almost any amount of financial pain on motorists and get away with it. But they do and its only getting worse.

What does the motorist do that is so bad anyway!? No matter how expensive governments make it the number of cars on the roads keeps increasing - rather than logically realising that the alternatives, i.e. public transport, must be useless they just try and tax you out of your nasty disgusting driving habit. And with the sort of wally's who gave those huge bendy buses (which are always only half full) the go-ahead for use on English roads is it any wonder public transport is such a waste of time?

My 17 year old sister who has just passed her test got a parking ticket at the weekend for parking in a residents bay. She is inexperienced and didnt look properly and now has to pay a 50.00 fine, she's a student, but obviously she has a car so must be a multi-millionaire with lots of spare cash for fines and taxes....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
cooperstan
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing