MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well do the Gen 1 (R53?) cars cope with high mileage. I'm about to but a Gen 1 Cooper S, a couple of cars I've been looking at have had high mileage 80k +. Is there anuthing in particular to look out for. I'm assuming that if they've had main dealer servicing that they should be pretty sweet?? Would I be better off spending the extra cash on a lower mileage??

·
Registered
593 Posts
mine done 70k and is sweet, the previous ownder was well know to the dealer, the 50k miles on the car where mainly motorway in 3 years. so not exactly hammered.

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
My launch-day Cooper S (July '02) has 120,000 miles on the clock, and the only things that have gone wrong with it in the last two years are a headlamp bulb and a split breather pipe from the crank case (which is all of about a fiver to replace). It's just sailed through yet another MOT (although that split bit of rubber meant that the emissions were marginal until it had been replaced).

·
Registered
140 Posts
My launch-day Cooper S (July '02) has 120,000 miles on the clock, and the only things that have gone wrong with it in the last two years are a headlamp bulb and a split breather pipe from the crank case (which is all of about a fiver to replace). It's just sailed through yet another MOT (although that split bit of rubber meant that the emissions were marginal until it had been replaced).
Once you're outside of the TLC cover period, do you do your own servicing or do you pay the high prices BMW charge??

i'm planning on owning my cooper d for a good 5 years and will probably do about 200k miles :)

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Once you're outside of the TLC cover period, do you do your own servicing or do you pay the high prices BMW charge??

i'm planning on owning my cooper d for a good 5 years and will probably do about 200k miles :)
At that sort of mileage, I don't suppose it matters too much - the sort of person who buys a car with that mileage isn't going to care whether it was serviced at BMW or not! Of course some stamps are always good! I'd take mine to BMW, but its time based, so £200-£300 every other year isn't too bad for me, but if you are doing that sort of mileage the bills would soon mount, and what you would lose from having back street garage stamps as opposed to BMW ones would be tiny, so paying the extra would be a waste!;)

Bazzer: I'd buy a low mileage car, BUT, MINIs are generally reliable unless you happen to get mine!

·
Registered
140 Posts
At that sort of mileage, I don't suppose it matters too much - the sort of person who buys a car with that mileage isn't going to care whether it was serviced at BMW or not! Of course some stamps are always good! I'd take mine to BMW, but its time based, so £200-£300 every other year isn't too bad for me, but if you are doing that sort of mileage the bills would soon mount, and what you would lose from having back street garage stamps as opposed to BMW ones would be tiny, so paying the extra would be a waste!;)

Bazzer: I'd buy a low mileage car, BUT, MINIs are generally reliable unless you happen to get mine!
Many thanks, good advice there. I think i'll do the xl tlc until 80,000 and sort out my own servicing after that... hopefully by then a good DIY servicing/repair book would be available for R56 Doopers? (or i might just win the lottery and change my car every year :p))

1 - 7 of 7 Posts