MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a 2005 Mini Cooper S on order and wile I have been EXTREMELY anxious to take posession, things I read on this site cause me some concern. I read threads concerning poor reliablity and numerous problems with the cars. One person stated that Minis are "junk" and has had problems with two his own and a loaner. People respond that they have 600 miles, 3000 miles 20,000 miles without major problems but I am getting concerned. Can anyone tell me that they have a 2002 or later car with over 100K, 200K miles on it? My poor 94 Subaru has 175,000 and runs flawlessly. Can I expect a Mini to be a 200K car given proper maintenance? Is a Mini too much of a reliability/maintenace risk which offsets the fact that this cars is great in the handling and looks department. Lets hear some feedback to let me know that $26K for a tiny car is a good thing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good questions and request. As another one with a Mini on order w/ a production number, I look forward to the answers and feedback.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I have a 2003 January build MINI Cooper with 66,000 miles. So far, my car has been very reliable. The only annoying fault was the time the trunk latch would not latch and it opened on the highway. It was an easy fix and has been fine since. Otherwise, I have brought my car to the dealer for software updates on the CVT transmission. The leather on the steering wheel peeled, which the dealer replaced the whole unit. This MINI is the most reliable new car I have owned, which is a bonus, since it is the most fun to drive and stylish too!

My MINI ownership experience has been great! You will be glad you have one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
rbcooper said:
Can anyone tell me that they have a 2002 or later car with over 100K, 200K miles on it?
How can you expect there to be many 100K mile Mini Coopers but just be 2-3 years old??? People mostly post on sites like these (for ALL car makes) because they have problems. The car has a 4-year, 50K mile warranty in the US, right?

I also have an '05 MCS on order, and I'm NOT concerned.

Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ya I plan to order an MCS in either late Jan or Feb of 05 as well. And frankly Im a bit concerned. Hopefully some of these are just flukes but I guess something I can definitly expect to get used to are the dash rattles? Its such a cool car I hope I get a good one.

·
Mini in Maine
556 Posts
While it bothered me to read of such...

lotustt said:
Ya I plan to order an MCS in either late Jan or Feb of 05 as well. And frankly Im a bit concerned. Hopefully some of these are just flukes but I guess something I can definitly expect to get used to are the dash rattles? Its such a cool car I hope I get a good one.
problems I still made the move and bought my '05 mini(Oct. build). You have to take into account that over 1/2 a million have been sold and then look at the type/number of problems posted. It really is a very small number with problems as compared to those without. Of course that doesn't take into account those that don't report it, but it also doesn't take into account those that have problems that may not seem like problems to us were we to experience them(whew!). That said I think if all those without problems were to post you'd seen a large discrepancy between those without and those with problems in favor of those without.

My wife runs a very sweet '01 Honda Civic. It's been super reliable, but it did, in the beginning have a few times it had to go back to the shop for recalls. I think if mini dealers were more numerous so people wouldn't have to drive so far for service it wouldn't be quite the issue it is.

Just my .02.

·
No Steenkin Preevileeg
664 Posts
The Engine is Faring Very Well

I've talked to several Service Advisors and the consensus is this regarding MINIs with more than 50,000 miles: the Chrysler/BMW Pentagon engine, yes, that so-called "weak link" of the car, is proving to be nothing short of bulletproof. They're going on their 5th year of production and even with heavy modding are holding up admiriably. But yes there are plenty of 02's out there that are having their problems, but at least it's not the engine (you'd think Consumer Reports would at least acknowledge much improved reliability over the first year :mad: )

And some guy in the US was the first to go over 100,000 miles with his 02 S. I'll see if I can find the link.

My 05 S has a few minor buzz/rattle issues in the interior, mostly pavement-specific, but certainly not enough to diminish the high-strung go-fast experience, which has been flawless at almost 3000 miles. However, if you buy a MINI and expect a Lexus, then that's an unrealistic expectation.

My advice: get your cars and have a wonderful experience. They are well-backed and built, and a freaking blast to drive. Dont let the negatives ruin your fun: if the buzz/rattle appears, turn up the H-K and/or put down the back seats (more exhaust noise into the cabin.) Or open the moonroof and let the noise take U away. This'll make it right. :D Jimbo

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
sequence said:
I

My advice: get your cars and have a wonderful experience. They are well-backed and built, and a freaking blast to drive. Dont let the negatives ruin your fun: if the buzz/rattle appears, turn up the H-K and put down the back seats (more exhaust noise into the cabin.) This'll make it right. :D Jimbo

Hear! Hear! ;)

·
OCD MINI Owner
33 Posts
Believe in the MINI. People with problems with their cars tend to post more. Some vent, others seek solutions, some express frustrations. But for the number of MINIs out there, there have been very few problems. And when there are problems, MINI appears to be pretty good at following them and making running changes. There are now a few MINIs out there with 50k+ miles and even those "early" builds are doing very well. Do the search for the 100k mile MINI from Florida.

I have an '04 MC made a year ago this week. I am approaching 12,000 miles and have been to the dealer once for an oil change (and other times to buy accessories and toys...). When the weather gets below 20F I get a few small and sporadic rattles and buzzes from the dashboard. But I can only localize one and it's not to the point of being there every day and needing to take apart the dash. Especially since it's only in the extreme cold.

The MINI is a great car. Unique, and an extremely good drive, you can't go wrong with a MINI. My girlfriend's Civic has a persistent dash buzz and I've fixed a couple of trim pieces on her car too. For the money, there's nothing like a MINI. Actually, at many price points, there's nothing like the MINI. For every small complaint, there are at least twenty compliments. I love my MINI Cooper. And always will.

Enjoy the wait for your MINI. Every drive will bring a smile to your face. :indi:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am a very satisfied MINI owner!!!

I am the proud owner of a 2002 MINI Cooper, now with over 35,000 miles and working beautifully!!!
It is true that there have been minor annoyances, but nothing really serious. I've been enjoying my MINI since the day I drove it off the dealer where I bought it.
My experience has been very good and honestly tell you that I would buy another MINI if my ecoonomy would allow me.

If you already placed your order, relax and prepare to have some real fun motoring your MINI.

Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks everyone for the responses. I am still definitly going to order My MCS come late Jan. or early Feb 05. I won't sweat the small stuff either.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
I'm ever so pleased that I found MINI2 long after I ordered my car.

If I had read all of the bad comments I would never have ordered the car if the first place. What a great shame that would have been.

My own car may only be 6 months old now but the build quality is equal to that of the the Volvo V70 that I use for work. It even shares some of it's over engineered feel. It has been almost completely reliable; the one fault that it has was quickly and courteously put right by the dealer. No bother! The car gives the impression that I should be able to run it for 10 years / 120,000 miles or so with little to worry about.

The only time that it suffers from any rattles is when its very cold and I put the heater on. The you can hear a few squeaks as the plastic heats up. That's all.

However, if you go for the sports plus suspension and low profile run flat tyres then a few squeaks and rattles are probably going to be inevitable. A small price to pay for the shear pleasure of driving such a superb handling car.

Enjoy.

Tigger.

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
As with all products products, there will be problems, especially in early production years - don't forget, the New Mini was a completely new product, not some over developed piece of bland junk that you get from all the major manufacturers - it also shares very few major components with other cars - the engine being the only exception. So yes, perhaps early on, there was some issues that another few years of development would have caught.

The other point is expectations - people had extremely high (and justifiably so) expectations because Mini was made by BMW, one of the best manufacturers in the world, and also, its a premium product - you pay a lot for what you get. So those expectations were veryv very high. Hence, when people got poor service (not enough dealers in the States!), or when fairly minor stuff repeatedly went wrong, they complained. People will come to Mini2 for one main reason - they've asked the dealers questions, the dealers didn't know, so they asked the experts. Most questions asked would be about problems. When you've got a problem, you look for support. When everythings fine - you get on with life.

So disproportionatly, people were looking for somewhere to air their problems - where better?

That said, some people gave mini a chance but were let down by poor service - even minor issues became something to complain about. Heres the bit that hurts - people that go looking for somewhere like this to air their complaints are more vocal than others, more opinionated. Heres a word that might hurt - they whinge more - there you go, said it.

Done 50000 miles in my Mini, 50000 in previous/wifes mini. Some annoying problems early on (power steering pump failed) - virtually nothing but stimulating, exciting, rewarding, trouble free smile enducing driving since then.

Apart from recently, when I threw it at a crash barrier at um, a certain speed. Many other cars would have crumpled and I would have been hurt. I walked away.

What am I desperatly trying to buy to replace my two year old car? Something new? no. The same car again.

Draw your own conclusions about Minis from that.

Cheers

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
I have a '02 MCS with 26,000 miles on the clock. There have been no major problems. The car has been 100% reliable. I have even done a few autoX days and it has preformed flawlessly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all of the posts...

Thanks to all of you for the posts. Reading your comments has once again fired my desire to be owning and driving my MCS. I appreciate vagt6's link to a site where reliability was discussed and feel MUCH better. I can live with minor problems, after all, you are talking to a person that had an MG1100 (Morris) sedan for many years and had no problem rebuilding the transmission, or fixing the hydroelastic suspension (remember that one?). It was worth it to me to drive a unique car, both in terms of appear ace as well as handling. I have dreamed of owning an Mini since my MG rusted away about ten years ago. I even considered a custom plate paying homage to the MG1100, but although the cars share a heritage, few would understand. Hoping to be driving my car the first of January.

Thanks for the MINI2 site and all of your comments. :yellow: :D

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
rbcooper

Great! Pleased to hear it.

Do you have any photos of the old MG1100? As a complete coincidence I came across a Riley Kestrel today (very similar thing, but with Riley grille, lots of chrome and all of the wood and leather).

Also, please let us know when you get the MINI and post some photos on this thread. I'll keep this thread subscribed.

Tigger.

·
Registered
260 Posts
There are problems, but things seem to be settling down nicely - I wouldn't be very concerned if I was ordering a 2005. You can scare yourself silly if you spend too much time on the internet.

I'll also 2nd the notion that the "weak link" engine (the Chrysler-designed Brazilian-built Pentagon) is starting to look like it might be one of the all-time toughest, most-robust, 4-bangers ever made. With so many cars out there, some HEAVILY modded, the incidence of hard-parts engine failure seems to be vanishingly small. I'll venture that we'll see some 200K and 300K unopened Mini engines out there in the near future. Whatever it lacks in refinement (I prefer to think of the lack of refinement as "character") it more than makes up for in toughness. This new BMW/Peugeot engine will have some big shoes to fill.

- Mark

·
Serial Mini Hugger
87 Posts
My Uncle works for the AA (breakdown service) and in all the years the Mini has been in production has not yet been called to one of them. Not one Mini. I think it speaks for itself.

Mini's are good reliable cars. Most problems you find are just small tweaks the car needs, and I think it's only fair that you allow a new car to have a few teething problems. And let's face it, the Mini has done exceptionally well!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts