MINI Cooper Forum banner

High mileage?

13K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  HighMileMini 
#1 ·
Go on then, who has a high miler? What's the mileage? How much have you spent so far on parts? How much have you spent so far on labour? How long have you had it?

What have you had to replace?

Lets see the mini lovers :)

#3 ·
3 Modern MINIS in my fleet!

R50 Current mileage 94,440. Owned it for 2 years, total spend on maintenance £1614.08
R55 Current mileage 44,224. Owned it for 2 years, total spend on maintenance £1051.89
R55 Current mileage 130,450. Owned it almost a year, total spend on maintenance £335.42

When it comes to maintenance I have no budget. The spend on the cars seems high and the prices don't include labour as I do all the work in house except for tyres, wheel alignment and MOT's. I only paid labour once (a few months ago) on the wifes MINI (middle car) as it was in BMW getting warranty work done and after paying £315 for them to fix the car I got it back in a worse state than it went in and couldn't get my money back and they fitted the wrong parts and didn't fix the problem. I had to fix it myself in the end!

All my cars are mechanically sound and every nut, bolt, bulb etc is logged together with its cost on a spreadsheet and when it comes to selling the car the new owner gets a full print out (plus reciepts) and a digital copy if they wish of the cars extensive service record. This beats stamps in the book from a main dealer, plus all the parts I use are mostly OEM.

Attachments

#7 ·
The thing is, from where i'm from (west midlands) there are no real mechanics that know what they are doing and wont charge £150 an hour labour.

Schools decide to teach math skills that i havn't needed to use since i left school, but the ins and outs of an engine i have no idea and i have no time or money to go and start learning things again (as much as i'd like to)

I think they should teach at least the basics of mechanics in school, as you said, people just think cars need fuel these days

#10 ·
126,500 Miles Mini Cooper 05 plate had it a year. service history to back the miles up

replaced
clutch, front and rear sensors, discs and pads, tyres, middle and rear exhaust

prob reaching 2k spent on it in a yr ?

Full service last oct

things to do cam belt, and the dreaded mot soon

If any one can beat this mileage I'd be suprised haha

#19 ·
'02 mini R50 - 135k mileage - sister owned it for 3 years and myself 1 year this September my plan is to keep till 2022, after that I'll figure it out then. Sister replaced the clutch i have bought a new exhaust system, filters, plugs, leads, bonnet respray from chips. Due for a new key soon and 2 tyres.

When cash is available I will invest further where needed. Myself will have spent roughly £500 + key and tyres £200, sister clutch £400.

It came from England and now lives in South Wales, most of the milage been done over the bridge, past 4 years the car averages 4-6k a year.

Don't know a lot about cars but when I look at it it makes me smile, worth investment. Also with the costs at a Vet it's probably cheaper than a dog.

#21 ·
Actually, I'm just over 217,000 - about 135,000 miles
Things replaced over its lifetime other than tires, brakes, wipers, oil and fuel (and mods) so far....
3 serpentine belts
2 sets of spark plugs
1 battery
2 top engine mounts
1 belt tensioner
1 fuel pump
2 signal light bulbs
2 high beam headlight bulbs
1 clutch

#22 ·
challenger1 approaches

i bought my 2002 mini cooper with 188,600 miles, the 5 speed manny tranny went 900~ish miles after. i'll be stuffing a 6 speed in and shooting for the 200,000. after the drivetrain quits it'll get a honda b16 in it. lots of records are to be broken with this car.

#23 ·
2005( 54 plate ) MCS R53.........

Bought for £2300 in december...... 79,500miles

Thus far.........( now on 83,000miles )

New CCT and oil change - £95
New Clutch kit, slave cylinder and air intake pipe - £720
New front discs and pads - Shock tower alignment and strengthening plates - Replacement crank pulley - £420
2 new tyres - £200
New gear knob - £15
New speakers - £85
Sub - £120
And about a million quid in 99ron lool :)

So there you have it.....now......... FTS I'm Out! lolol

#24 ·
263,000 Miles MINI Cooper R53. JCW. The car has been my daily driver for the last 9 years. It had seen better days when I bought it. Therefore over the coming years I have spent a small fortune on it.
New paint job. New trim all round. Interior has been upgraded with a set of Sparco Milano leather sports seats. JCW Alcantara steering wheel, New JCW Wheels. All original factory parts. All to spec.

Apart form normal wear and tear items it still has the original engine and gearbox. You would never know it's covered over a quarter million miles. Still pulls nicely through all the gears.

Sorry no photos, but you'll have to take my word for it. It's immaculate. Very much my pride and joy.

#25 ·
135000 miles - 2002 (52 plate), I am the 5th owner, prior to me its not been loved much so its a bit rough around the edges. Apart from water pump, radiator and a few misc parts iv'e spent no more than £250 on it , but a lot of my time (but if I was to pay myself @ £90 per hour it would owe me £1100 !).

#26 ·
Mcs 260000 miles so
Charger belt & pulley £40
4 new tyres £200
"New rad pack and slam panel door (had previously had a bang right door left slam panel cracked ) Miltec cat back " £500 as a package deal from keal Stevens highly recommended for mini spares
Ht leads
Rocker cover seal
4 spark plugs

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

#28 ·
My HIGH mileage MINI

Right now I have 280,500+ miles on my car. I bought my 2004 Cooper S new with 6 delivered miles. Put 49K the first year (11 months, 26 days) In the past two years I've only driven it 2,500 miles due to use of other vehicles and a 5 month sailing adventure to the Caribbean. It's been to 49 states, 7 Canadian Provences and Mexico (I live in Virginia). I've had two clutches replaced and 1 slave cylinder, 4 windshields, 2 sets of rotors, 1 supercharger/water pump replacement, 1 engine mount, 2 ignition coils (1 was faulty), 1 headliner reupholstered, 1 window regulator (drivers side), 1 heater core replaced, 2 fuel filters, 2 crank position sensor o-rings, Shift and E-Brake boot covers replaced, 2 xenon headlights, and a few other small things. For 15 years old now, I am very pleased with the reliability. Only left me stranded once and it was a run-flat tire with sidewall damage on my way to Pikes Peak. Now when I travel far, I carry a full-size spare.

incidentally, I just bought a 2003 Cooper S from CoPart, with supercharger problems, but otherwise in goo shape with 84,400 miles. PTO gears are shot. Will get a rebuilt unit after Christmas, already removed it from the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.