MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Newby here! I have been reading a lot about the new Mini since buying one this year. But haven't read my issue yet.
I have never asked anything on a forum yet, so bare with me here. :)

The problem:
The oil pressure light has been coming on and off at idle while the engine is warm. Often when exiting the highway and coming to a stop at a traffic light.

Side-notes:
  • It has never come on when not idling.
  • Changed the oil sending unit. Still happens. Seems less often, but that could be me.
  • Oil is topped up. The best I can considering the dipstick... :p
  • Let my local dealer do an oil pressure test. They showed me a video of the gauge showing around 4 bar of pressure at idle and 4.5 bar at 3000 rpm.
  • Oil used: 5w30 synthetic
  • Checked the oil filter. It looks warped. Not a perfect cilinder anymore. Ordered a new one.
  • There's no blue (or any) smoke form my exhaust. It does seem to use some oil tho. Not leaking either.

Does anyone have a clue what it could be? Would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
  • Let my local dealer do an oil pressure test. They showed me a video of the gauge showing around 4 bar of pressure at idle and 4.5 bar at 3000 rpm.
was the engine at running temp when tested must be at running temp 80c at least, what was the temp, i have seen issues with thermostat housing running to hot, there is a revised one out with 4 pin electronics ie the oil is designed to be 5/30 at 100c the thermostat housing are 109c and faulty ones can be more then oil thins effects idle ie when car being driven for miles at 60mph its at a big load then when idle this heat is still there

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mike! I'll look into the thermostat housing.
I asked them to do the measurement while the engine is warm. Also the outside temperature that day was 41c. So warm anyways.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts