MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

R53 MCS, 49k

I've had a quick squizz through the forums and haven't been able to find anything that may explain my problem. I will give as much detail as possible, though I am not sure if the first part of my story is related to the issue I am now experiencing.

Part 1:
About two weeks ago, I was driving along with the CD player on, when I noticed that the right hand speakers (front and rear) were not outputting any Kings of Leon. The left ones were. I fiddled around with the balance, fade with no effect. After about a minute, they came back and I continued my drive in full stereophonic sound immersion. I figured it must have been a loose connection. The problem never re-occurred.

Part 2:
Fast forward to Tuesday evening. I was sitting at some traffic lights, with the radio on, waiting for the go go go. As I pulled away, all of the speakers emitted an almighty squealing noise, really loud, much like feedback from a guitar. I turned the volume down on the stereo, but it had no effect - the squealing noise continued. I turned the radio off and the noise continued. I pulled over as soon as I could and turned the ignition off and took the key out. The noise stopped. When I started the car again (with the radio off), the noise came back, though quieter and not as high-pitched. I continued driving for a minute or so and pulled over somewhere safer and turned the ignition off again. On re-starting, there was no noise. That was the last I heard of it until this morning.

Part 3:
I was driving down the back roads to work this morning, radio on, putting my foot down on the straight and the noise came back at about 60 mph. I *think* it was as I went over a small bump of some sort (given the number of bumps you can feel on the average journey, I would think it would have happened sooner). After nearly crashing the car in shock, I slowed down and opened the window to let some of the sound waves out. I drove the last mile to work and parked up with the engine idling - noise still there, but settled and quieter now. I phoned the local garage to see if they could shed any light on it (had to turn the engine off as I couldn't hear them on the phone with all the noise), but they thought it could be the timing belt - at which point I explained the noise was coming from the speakers and not the engine. No idea, they said. I've not listened to the engine whilst this happens, but I couldn't hear anything from inside the car other than the speakers even with the window open.

Now I'm a bit annoyed and worried. Annoyed because I've spent a fortune in the last three months on various maintenance for the car (tyres, wheel bearing, key scratch paint job and the rest), worried because the spending looks like it will continue for the foreseeable future.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Could it just be the stereo and a loose connection, or something more serious?

Why would the noise continue when the stereo is off?

Will Batman and Robin save the United World Security Council from dehydration?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've just seen this thread (won't let me link for some reason):

w w w . mini2 . com/forum/faults-fixes/77275-very-strange-problem.html

Sounds similar...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Morning all,

R53 MCS, 49k

I've had a quick squizz through the forums and haven't been able to find anything that may explain my problem. I will give as much detail as possible, though I am not sure if the first part of my story is related to the issue I am now experiencing.

Part 1:
About two weeks ago, I was driving along with the CD player on, when I noticed that the right hand speakers (front and rear) were not outputting any Kings of Leon. The left ones were. I fiddled around with the balance, fade with no effect. After about a minute, they came back and I continued my drive in full stereophonic sound immersion. I figured it must have been a loose connection. The problem never re-occurred.

Part 2:
Fast forward to Tuesday evening. I was sitting at some traffic lights, with the radio on, waiting for the go go go. As I pulled away, all of the speakers emitted an almighty squealing noise, really loud, much like feedback from a guitar. I turned the volume down on the stereo, but it had no effect - the squealing noise continued. I turned the radio off and the noise continued. I pulled over as soon as I could and turned the ignition off and took the key out. The noise stopped. When I started the car again (with the radio off), the noise came back, though quieter and not as high-pitched. I continued driving for a minute or so and pulled over somewhere safer and turned the ignition off again. On re-starting, there was no noise. That was the last I heard of it until this morning.

Part 3:
I was driving down the back roads to work this morning, radio on, putting my foot down on the straight and the noise came back at about 60 mph. I think it was as I went over a small bump of some sort (given the number of bumps you can feel on the average journey, I would think it would have happened sooner). After nearly crashing the car in shock, I slowed down and opened the window to let some of the sound waves out. I drove the last mile to work and parked up with the engine idling - noise still there, but settled and quieter now. I phoned the local garage to see if they could shed any light on it (had to turn the engine off as I couldn't hear them on the phone with all the noise), but they thought it could be the timing belt - at which point I explained the noise was coming from the speakers and not the engine. No idea, they said. I've not listened to the engine whilst this happens, but I couldn't hear anything from inside the car other than the speakers even with the window open.

Now I'm a bit annoyed and worried. Annoyed because I've spent a fortune in the last three months on various maintenance for the car (tyres, wheel bearing, key scratch paint job and the rest), worried because the spending looks like it will continue for the foreseeable future.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Could it just be the stereo and a loose connection, or something more serious?

Why would the noise continue when the stereo is off?

Will Batman and Robin save the United World Security Council from dehydration?
  1. I know it's been a while but did you ever get to the cause of the problem. I'm experiencing the same

1 - 3 of 3 Posts