MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 MCS makes a high pitched whine (and it is not the SC), it is only audible at low speeds and it sounds pretty loud with the windows open when the car stands still and I rev it. I don't know the exact rpm, but I would guess it starts at about 1750rpm and gets louder with higher rpm.

It sounds like a worn water pump or alternator, or maybe a worn belt of some sort, but I am having trouble pinpointing it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made a movie,
, the beeping noise in the beginning of the movie is just my hands free system.

I noticed a few things while testing, when the engine is cold the sound can be heard from idle, when it heated up it seamed like I needed higher revs before I could hear the noise. I had someone else revving the car, but it was difficult to pinpoint the source, I would say near SC pulley or belt tightener.

I would say the noise does not sound like a cow, it sounds like something that isn't lubricated enough.

·
Registered
409 Posts
In my last car - a Peugeot the belt made this noise - last winter....I sprayed some WD40 into it and it sounded well nice after......although I dont think you should do it to a MINI :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
the noise seems to remain at a fixed pitch. i would not think it is the belt, since that would probably increase in frequency as the revs increase, although the recording quality may be an injustice. i would suggest to check the intake for leaks, sounds like an air whine/whistle. good luck.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Excellent movie! This sounds like a bearing in the auxilliary drives. Look at the idlers first, they are the cheapest. You can pull the belt and run it for 30 seconds to see if the noise is gone without hurting anything.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My bet would be the idler bearing has gone or the alternator bush/bearing.
Yep, I've got the same high pitched whine on my MCS from 09/2002. It began a bit more than 1 year ago and it got worse with the time. It seems that the alternator is guilty. The mechanic of my Mini dealer told me that he's already changed quite a few alternators on Mini's.
Anyway, I took 1 day to check the SC and intake for leaks, the water pump, to change the belt, the gaskets ... but the sound seems to be coming from the alternator. I also spinned the idler and the bearing is still smooth ... but I found it a bit noisy (like a bearing spinning dry).

I'll check more deeply this week by changing the idler first ... my car has 141000 kilometers anyway ...

·
N.O.T.R.A.M.O.O
140 Posts
I get alot of this on my race cars, and it is ALWAYS the water pump pulley, look at the pulley, if it is plastic, it is probably broken at the hub, and will eventually break and throw the belt:eek:.
The quick way to check is to use a long screwdriver and GENTLY try to lever the pulley side to side (use moderate force... or the pulley will def. be broked :smile:) if there is any sideways motion on the pulley, you need a new pump. Take about 2 hrs to change and the least one I got was £160ish.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I get alot of this on my race cars, and it is ALWAYS the water pump pulley, look at the pulley, if it is plastic, it is probably broken at the hub, and will eventually break and throw the belt:eek:.
The quick way to check is to use a long screwdriver and GENTLY try to lever the pulley side to side (use moderate force... or the pulley will def. be broked :smile:) if there is any sideways motion on the pulley, you need a new pump. Take about 2 hrs to change and the least one I got was £160ish.

Impossible with an MCS because the water pump is directly attached to the supercharger, so the SC pulley is making the water pump spinning.

But the noise in the film is weird ...

·
N.O.T.R.A.M.O.O
140 Posts
MCS = MINI Cooper S. :rolleyes: Doh!!

That will teach me to read the thread properly, thought it was a Cooper. Sorry.

;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts