MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Loves the Fuzzy One
16,525 Posts
You might want to add driving through Death Valley to your tour. It's a very short detour on the LV to LA route. :) If we're in LV while you're here, we can take you off roading in the NV desert. :)

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
I'd suggest

Sequoia National Park, Giant Sequoia, Sequoia Trees, Sequoia National Park Lodging

and Kings Canyon while you are in that neck of the woods :p

Both stunning.

I'll second Death Valley too and Grand Canyon, but North Rim as its more amazing and less frequented by hoardes of tourists. And the drive into the North Rim is unbelievable.

Williams Az is worth a visit (Rods steak house and the Red Garter B&B especially) and you get to do a bit of Route 66 as part of the trip too.

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
Whatever Goonery says is true, he's driven across the US more often than most Americans. ;)
25 States and over 20'000 miles makes us more accomplished than the Lewis and Clark expedition which was a measly 7,689 miles. Of course they had no idea what was out there, relied on horses and there were no maps west of the Mississippi river.

·
going or coming?
1,215 Posts
Canyon De Chelly in Arizona.

I suppose it becomes a question of what is your primary interest. I'm a hiker type, and spent a lot of time in the CA parks (Yosemite, Lassen, Sequoia) when I lived in CA. WIne region around Napa is fun-take a driver.

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts

I suppose it becomes a question of what is your primary interest. I'm a hiker type, and spent a lot of time in the CA parks (Yosemite, Lassen, Sequoia) when I lived in CA. WIne region around Napa is fun-take a driver.

After a while one winery looks much like another, or should the be two winery look like another :eek::D

·
Loves the Fuzzy One
16,525 Posts
Driving Highway 1 along the CA coast satisfies more than one option. ;) Scenery, twisty road, and many nearby attractions. :)

·
going or coming?
1,215 Posts
After a while one winery looks much like another, or should the be two winery look like another :eek::D
True, but they don't always taste the same. Mondavi used to give a good tour. Even more fun is to bike from brew-pub to brew-pub in Portland or Seattle, but a bit north of the intended tour.

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
Can anyone recommend any stuff we must see in the California/Nevada/Arizona area? We'll be flying into LA on the 2nd May. Places we already have in mind are Vegas, the Grand Canyon, the Hoover Dam, up the coast from LA to San Fran and back (taking in Yosemite NP too).

I'm looking for any suggestions. I want to start working out a Google maps route, so I can work out stops. Also I'm gonna see if it will be cheaper to drive the whole thing (~2000 miles) or do the LA - LV section by plane.

There's so much to do before I go!
You might want to add driving through Death Valley to your tour. It's a very short detour on the LV to LA route. :) If we're in LV while you're here, we can take you off roading in the NV desert. :)
good suggestion

good suggestion.

i'd vote for doing the skywalk on the south rim though ... glass floor over the canyon. :eek: yikes :D

Whatever Goonery says is true, he's driven across the US more often than most Americans. ;)
very true.

25 States and over 20'000 miles makes us more accomplished than the Lewis and Clark expedition which was a measly 7,689 miles. Of course they had no idea what was out there, relied on horses and there were no maps west of the Mississippi river.
apparently he also knows more american history than most americans, too! :p

i agree. i also used to work in Chinle, where the Canyon is. So I'm biased. :p Take a Din'eh (Navajo) led tour to see the white house ruins. (You're required to have a guide on most tours because it's sacred ground).

Other places:

San Diego, and taking the train/walk to Tiajuana (don't drive).
San Diego zoo

Northern California: the usual SF stuff: Alcatraz, visiting Berkeley, tour of the city, Ghirardelli choccie factory tour or Sharfen-Berger tour, wine, redwoods,

Arizona: Lake Havisu City, where London Bridge is. ok, probably not really worth it. :p

·
Registered
140 Posts
Fin,

If you are coming to San Francisco and Northern California, then you are coming into my part of the world. We would love to show you around. As Goonery can confirm we have some great roads in the SF bay area. Please drop me an email and let me know when you will be in town.

My wife & I are palnning on going to the UK around the 15th of May and driving the London to Brighton run, then following with MINI United 2009. If I am not here, there are many in our club that would love to show you around. My email is [email protected] and feel rree to visit our website Redwood Empire Mini Enthusiasts, we have several run maps that you can use that include Yosemite, the wine country, San Francisco, and the northern California coast.

I would be happy to try to help fix you up with a Mini hire (rental) here in San Francisco.

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Apparently theres a nice new family moving in to the Washington DC area soon they would welcome a visit to broaden their international experience .:D
Someone should invite them to visit Plant Oxford - to see how cars SHOULD be made.......;):eek:

Or maybe as celebrity guest star at MINI United? After all, MINI owners are about as culturally diverse as it gets!!

·
QQJ's Social Secretary
9,458 Posts
Any idea what an African-American duck might look like? :D
I'll have to get a picture of the ducks on my antenna. I refer to them as 'cultural diversity' ducks. Brake dust might have something to do with it. :)

(This has been a running joke with a friend of mine from high school, who wrote a book called 'Race Manners'- shameless plug for Bruce's book) :D

Amazon.com: Race Manners for the 21st Century: Navigating the Minefield Between Black and White Americans in an Age of Fear: Bruce A Jacobs: Books

·
Loves the Fuzzy One
16,525 Posts
For Seattle suggestions, you have to go to Pike's Market. While there, get a latte at the first Starbucks. Then walk over to the ferry piers to watch the action and maybe get a bite. Order too much so you'll have some to share with the seagulls. Next, walk over to the old section to see the original skid row. :aargh: The Underground Seattle tour is enjoyable, and after dark there are lots of clubs for you to try. :nice:

·
going or coming?
1,215 Posts
Looks like I'll be in the Washington DC area followed by Seattle next March.

Any suggestions?

Ian
Just adults or kids going too? Want city or city/country experience?
March in Washingotn, I think the Tulip fest should be going on. Take a ferry ride. Pike Place Mkt is nice as said above. Volunteer park is great in winter (glass conservatory). Nice zoo and aquarium for kids. Good food town, and great pub town. Wild Ginger, Dahlia Lounge, Flying Fish, Matt's at the Market, Cafe Campagnia, Marco's Supper Club, Tutta Bella are among my favorite eats. Ride the streetcar, working on it was my prior job.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts