MINI Cooper Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Just adults or kids going too? Want city or city/country experience?
March in Washingotn, I think the Tulip fest should be going on. Take a ferry ride. Pike Place Mkt is nice as said above. Volunteer park is great in winter (glass conservatory). Nice zoo and aquarium for kids. Good food town, and great pub town. Wild Ginger, Dahlia Lounge, Flying Fish, Matt's at the Market, Cafe Campagnia, Marco's Supper Club, Tutta Bella are among my favorite eats. Ride the streetcar, working on it was my prior job.
It's just me, alas - business trip, but probably got a weekend to kill in between. So I could stay around DC then go over to Seattle at the end of the weekend, or go on the Friday and have a couple of days there before the meetings at Redmond.

Thanks all for your advice - I will have to think more about what and when!

I suppose there's very little chance of renting a MINI ineither city then?

Ian

·
Giggity-goo!
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hey guys, quick question...

The cheapest I've found to hire a car for 5 weeks is around £550 (inc CDW). Now I was thinking, do you think I could beat this if I waited until I got to LAX and haggled in person? Or would I be best off taking this price now (before the £ falls any more against the $!)

Unfortunately we can't afford a Mustang for this length of time, so it's gonna be the smallest thing they've got. :(

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Very true...but they might offer a complimentary upgrade, especially if they have run out of the cheap cars! But if so, first they will try to get you to pay for an upgrade.....and if you refuse, they may give you the car anyway!!! This has been my experience on more than one occasion in the states...;)

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
You mentioned at the beginning possibly going into Mexico. If you are still thinking about that, standard insurance doesn't cover Mexico, a special policy is required. Also, rental car companies probably do not permit their vehicles to leave the USA, I would check carefully.

·
Loves the Fuzzy One
16,525 Posts
Very true...but they might offer a complimentary upgrade, especially if they have run out of the cheap cars! But if so, first they will try to get you to pay for an upgrade.....and if you refuse, they may give you the car anyway!!! This has been my experience on more than one occasion in the states...;)
That is true, it's why I never reserved anything but the bottom line car. ;)

Dollar Rent-a-car in Las Vegas was my favorite: They take you to the car lot and tell you to pick anything from the designated row. If your row was empty, then it was anything on the lot. :)

·
Giggity-goo!
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You mentioned at the beginning possibly going into Mexico. If you are still thinking about that, standard insurance doesn't cover Mexico, a special policy is required. Also, rental car companies probably do not permit their vehicles to leave the USA, I would check carefully.
Any trip to Mexico will be organised with a hostel from San Diego, where the car shall be left. We're only thinking of a day trip just to take in one more country. To be honest, I haven't heard great things about Tijuana!

There generally aren't any problem crossing state lines are there? We plan on hitting Nevada too.

·
Loves the Fuzzy One
16,525 Posts
No problems at all with state lines. California has a border inspection but it's only for plants. Be aware though, there are border patrol stations all along the southwestern US on main roads. You have to stop and declare citizenship. I don't know if you have to show a passport but will ask then next time I go through the one on US 95.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
The only other permanent checkpoints are on Hwy 93 on either side of Hoover Dam. They were setup after 9/11/2001. They just look quickly at regular passenger vehicles and wave them through, no documents requested. Trucks, motor homes and trailers get a more detailed inspection.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts