MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh dear.

After having spent two excellent months dashing about in my Cooper, someone has put a stop to my fun. Last night on the way home a driver escaping from the police crashed into me and then drove off!! Doubt they've got insurance and as far as I know the police haven't caught them.

At least I've got fully comp but I've now got a problem. My insurers won't get me a courtesy car unless I use their approved repairer (non-BMW). However, if I use my local BMW/Mini shop they can't get me a courtesy car until mid march. That leaves me without a car for about a month. I've potentially got no-one to claim against either if I get a hire car.

Obviously I'd rather that BMW shop did the repairs as they are less likely to stuff it up (I hope), they know what a new Mini is and the resell value won't get affected quite as bad.

The other thing that has got me _really_ nervous... the car wouldn't budge after the accident (seemed like the drive shaft was broken). So if it is written off then I'll have to wait at least 3 months for a new Mini (given current waiting lists)! No car for 3 months... :(

Anyone had a similar experience? Any suggestions? ... or should I just go back to my bike!

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think most BMW garages sub-contract out bodywork to local companies - why not find out who they use and see if your insurers would cover it.

Quite unusual for an insurer not to allow the main dealer to fix a car in my experience.

Dave

·
Registered
546 Posts
baldie said:
Quite unusual for an insurer not to allow the main dealer to fix a car in my experience.
I think the problem is that you are only guaranteed a courtesy car (from the insurer) if you use an approved repairer. They generally don't mind who you use, as long as the estimate is OK'd by their engineers.

You could try asking your insurer where the nearest approved repairer is which also happens to be a BMW dealership.

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
I'm surprised your insurer wants you to use an "approved" repair shop. Here in the U.S. they can recommend, but never insist you use a specified repair shop. It would other wise be considered collusion -illegal, at least in my state.
Maybe you should double check to make sure it isn't the same in the UK?
Good luck.

·
Registered
546 Posts
UK insurers don't insist but you generally only get a free courtesy car as part of the deal if you use a "approved" repairer. It's because the insurer's contract with the repairer states that all policyholders must be given a loan car at the garage's expense.

If you go to a non-approved repairer, you're on your own as far as negotiating for a loan car's concerned.

If you favour a particular repair shop (like a local BMW franchise) it's worth checking that they're on your insurer's approved panel before you take out the policy.

In this area, we're lucky because the BMW dealer (Lind) has an excellent bodyshop and it's approved by most major insurers.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I work in car insurance & you can use any garage that you wish :) if you used an 'approved repairer' then we only need 1 estimate & they will supply you with a couresty car while yours is being repaired. If the car was a total loss then you wouldnt have anything. If you wanted to use a garage of your choice we would require 2 estimates & its down to the garage if they issue a courtesy car. If they do then you need to put that car on cover, & there is a charge for this :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
a prediction

Smiffy will be fired from his insurance job for making everything too understandable for the customers.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Re: a prediction

Clutch Cargo said:
Smiffy will be fired from his insurance job for making everything too understandable for the customers.
Always happy to help :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some better news at last. There is a local BMW dealer (in Bath) who is on the insurers 'approved' list. So I'm getting the estimates, work, etc. done there. I'll also be able to get a courtesy car.

Thanks for the info Smiffy et al.

·
Registered
272 Posts
smiffy got a question for u mate...

i was just finking- when i bought the insurance for my cooper i didn't tell them what spec i had- well i didn't need to or they didn't ask for it, so in fact they don't know what size wheels i got- at the moment i've got the chilli wheels so say i changed em to the 17's- they wouldn't know would they??? :confused:

oh on the certificate it just says mini cooper (no chili package or anything) :confused:

thx

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
This is a tricky one :rolleyes:
The option packs are classed as a modification but they are optional extras so you could always argue this with the insurance company ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
smiffy said:
This is a tricky one :rolleyes:
The option packs are classed as a modification but they are optional extras so you could always argue this with the insurance company ;)
so would u recommend this? or just tell em? how much is it for bigger wheels on insurance?

and does anyone know how much the 17" wheels and tyres are?

thx :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts