MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 MCSC only 5 days old now and the passenger door rattle started immediately. First noticed it listening to talk AM radio, the bass in the voice showed the rattle.

Started reading about other's problems with the same rattle. I'm a little reluctant to take apart the door at this early stage of ownership.

When I put my fingers where the door panel meets the metal of the passenger door, there was obvious "play"...i could physically move the panel, whereas I could not on the driver door.

i played a CD that caused rattle, then pressed the door panel in this location (just under the lower speaker on the passenger door), the rattle stopped.

Below are pics of what I did. Cut small pieces of felt to wedge them between the door panel and the metal door. In any normal position (other than lying on your back), these are not visible.

Played the CD again and now no rattle.

Attachments

·
The King of Bling
148 Posts
It's annoying because it makes it sound like my drivers speaker is blown but I know it's not because the sound is not distorted. What a stupid :bad::bad::bad::bad:ing rattle?!?!?! :mad:

I know holding it sometimes stops the rattle but I can't drive and hold the grille at the same time. When I get home I'm going to conduct some tests and may follow MadisonMini's instructions.

I will keep you all informed.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
StevePSB said:
I think most rattles are actually from the grille itself. Mine almost certainly is. Very, very annoying.
That may be, but in my car, there was definitely some distance between the door frame and the door panel. Enough distance that I could wedge the felt pieces in there and now the rattle is gone.

Before placing the felt, I pressed on the space on the door panel below the lower speaker and the rattle stopped.

I'll admit, this isn't the most elegant solution, but it was quick and easy.

The felt I used were cut up pieces that came with my Dremmel drill (I suppose meant to polish things).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.