MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a certain fact the new cooper, especially the Cooper S hugs the road sooo well and you feel like you are driving a Go-Kart somtimes. But is it only me who thinks a AWD Cooper or especially AWD Cooper S would be a very serious and a Dangerous Car ! WOWWWW ! Think about it! A Cooper S with the BMW AWD System " X ". Cooper XS !

·
Registered
343 Posts
Rumour has it (according to my local BMW dealer) that there is a 4WD Mini test bed running around....

·
Registered
301 Posts
Why would you need a 4WD Mini? No clearance to get off the road, and I don't think AWD hugs the road better.
DeniseK

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
DeniseK said:
Why would you need a 4WD Mini? No clearance to get off the road, and I don't think AWD hugs the road better.
DeniseK
AWD has two main disadvantages: Weight, and increased rotating mass.

But it's advantage (and Ohhh boy, it's a terrific one!) is that you get more traction. 4 years ago when I was demo-ing an Audi A4 Quattro on a rainy Saturday afternoon, the salesman told me to take an on-ramp at 65mph (it was marked at 35mph), and the car just held on. I probably could have gone faster, truthfully. Just didn't feel like bending someone else's expensive car, is all :)

Audi figures 240hp is about the limit for FWD. (IMO, I would put that limit a little lower.) But with AWD, you have twice as many driven wheels, and so you could add much more power and not have traction problems. It's nice for acceleration in a straight line, but it's really of benefit when accelerating in/through a curve.

One of the cars I looked at before putting money down on a Cooper S was a Subaru WRX (we get the wimpy version in the states, only 227hp). It was a blast to drive, and would have certainly resulted in my appearing before a judge at some point. Why didn't I get one? Three reasons:
(1) The dealer is/was a bunch of losers (I have prior experience of this).
(2) The interior of the car screams "cheap!".
(3) And I'd rather not be affiliated with the baggy-pants crowd (apologies to all the Playa's reading this).

Harumph. Back on topic. If MINI were to add AWD (and some extra horsepower), I'd trade my Cooper S in in a moment! Maybe that will be the elusive M edition?

Chip H.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
A 4WD offroading Mini would be daft! But an AWD Mini Cooper S would be ace, just think how it would handle!!! Fair enought the extra weight might slow it odwn (so we'd want a more powerul engine) but the extra weight in the back for the driven rear wheels would balance the car's weight distribution up (bringing it closes to 50:50) which can't be a bad thing!

As for 240hp being max for front drive I tend to agree! I've heard it beofore from Tiff Needel, although i think he said 250. I say 200 is max then you need RWD or 4WD!

Another idea would be to produce a RWD Cooper S! How cool would that be!!

·
MINI2 Master BLASTER!!!!!
1,532 Posts
I've read somewhere here on MINI2 that there will be a rally Mini(AWD) with around 300ish BHP!

It will be racing in a few rallys sometime early next yr, maybe there will be an AWD or 4WD Mini afterall for the masses.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would not be able to say no to a 4WD M class Cooper S(?) with M tags. Maybe should be called "Cooper M" :)
Doug

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, please!:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
lbb,

There isn't a rally class anywhere for a AWD mini to compete. The figures you quote 300bhp and AWD matches the limits for the World Rally Championship. The mini can't be used in the WRC unless it's as a S1600 car in the Junior WRC.

Damo,

The handling would not be good. The wheelbase is too short for it to work effectively. They would need to tune it with either a FWD or RWD bias, by betting would be FWD. If it was to ever happen (unlikely) it would probably be FWD most of the time and only become AWD when the front wheels start to slip and need some help from the rear.

BTW a 4x4 system would add around >100kg to the vehicle weight.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
oxfordmini said:
lbb,
Damo,

The handling would not be good. The wheelbase is too short for it to work effectively. They would need to tune it with either a FWD or RWD bias, by betting would be FWD. If it was to ever happen (unlikely) it would probably be FWD most of the time and only become AWD when the front wheels start to slip and need some help from the rear.

BTW a 4x4 system would add around >100kg to the vehicle weight.
Wouldn't b to fussed myself, I'd prefer it to be RWD if anything, just look at that Mini S3 Race Car with the M3 engine, and RWD! Me want one!

Given the choice of 4WD,RWD or FWD, I'd take RWD Every time! I'm just a pureist. Nissan Skyline GTR is all very well and Nice but give me a TVR Cerbera 4.5 or Tuscan R anytime! Pure Grunt :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts