MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been pretty warm in the Uk in the last few days and I have been looking at the temperature on the rev counter more and more. I am just womdering is thie figure stated pretty accurate?

·
"knucklehead"
1,206 Posts
minie seems to be accurate... i have an analog thermometer that i usually bring and check the outside temp and it's the same... and also the same on my dad's in-car temp gauge and also my friend's car...

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think it's pretty accurate actually. If I remember right it is tucked out of the way behind the bumper so heat from the engine doesn't affect it. Certainly when I have checked it it was within 1.5 deg C.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It did actually hit 37 in some parts of Britain last August. So the reading shown in the photo could be correct.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I find the gauge incredibly immune to engine heat (or any false readings for that matter) yet brilliantly sensitive to ambient temp changes.
I've just come back from a 2000 mile for the hell of it mid-winter thrash where it was occasionally -5c at midday and the speed that the gauge would detect lower temps in shady, icy valleys (+4c to -3c in seconds) was uncanny.
It was a guardian angel, although a 'bong' each time it slipped below 3c would be helpful, I hope it won't deteriorate over time.

·
Slave to my MINI
316 Posts
It seems pretty accurate in my car, compared to the time / temperature displays on the electronic signs outside the banks in my neighborhood.

I just wish it could calculate wind chills as well, so I know before I get out of the car if the temperature is actually the 10 degrees F that is displayed or the -20 degrees F wind chill...lol

·
MINI2 co-founder
653 Posts
it seems pretty accurate once the car is moving - i find that mine reads about 10 degrees hotter when i first get in my car after it has been outside all day at work in the texas heat...then again my car is black and likes to absorb heat pretty well so i'm sure the ambient temp around the sensor is really that high....the other day when i left work it said 110F at first..but within 2 miles had dropped 98F.

·
Slippery When Wet
2,556 Posts
Casey said:
it seems pretty accurate once the car is moving - i find that mine reads about 10 degrees hotter when i first get in my car after it has been outside all day at work in the texas heat...
Same here, but I'm in Michigan. Got in the car after work and it read 98°. After a few minutes it settled down to 90°ish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
charlief1975
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing