MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
There isnt much sound at 2500rpm in my cooper. When I go about 4500 then theres a deep roaring noise. ive heard it from the outside when I was watching my mate drive my car and the exhaust note is awesome too. And thats from a standard cooper no modifications. :eb:

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
You might want to have it checked out. I had a hum/buzz around 2000-2300RPM and thought it was the heat shield but in fact the bottom of my airbox (air filter holder) was cracked!

With a new airbox bottom the car became much quieter though it is louder again now so I may need to check that airbox again...

Harry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Karlis. There are lots of similar messages about the gearbox.

I got my car in September, just after they changed to new gearboxes. Whilst I'm not 100% happy with the gearbox, I think I've got one of the better ones.

You unfortunately sound to have one of the less reliable of the Getrag boxes (Pech!). Take it back to your dealer. There is a check that BMW have requested on the oil level in the gearbox and your dealer should do this. Also get them to check the gear linkage (don't know what that is in German). I'm told that BMW are working on a solution. Don't know if they've found one yet.

Viel Erfolg!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,
why did you think that the noise about 2500rpm are a gearbox problem?
My dealer has said that the noise is a normal resonance noise of the engine.
So i'm very surprised that your coopers are quit at the 2500rpm or has the same sound like at a higher or lower rpm?!

Karlis

·
Is it just me, or...?
546 Posts
Mines the same as Clutch Cargo and Rosco. When I had a test drive in June (old gearbox), it was fairly quiet at all revs, just slightly louder at 4000+. With the new one, it's very quiet up to 3800-ish, then it gets a lot louder quite quickly, and a bit more sporty sounding (have BMW done this deliberately?).

It's quite quiet and refined at 2.5k, not much difference anywhere really from 1 to 3k. Do you know where it's coming from, are you sure it's the engine or gearbox?

If I under-rev slighty in reverse, I sometimes get a slight bonnet-rattle. I think that's the only odd noise, just the bonnet resonating slightly at a certain low rpm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts